Part Time / Full Time MBA - Profile Review

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650
Hello, I'm looking for an evaluation of my MBA profile in order to help decide which schools to apply to.

GPA 3.35
GMAT 660 (42Q / 40V)

Work History:

8 years experience.
2 years business to business sales
3 years entrepreneur – started consulting business, managed 8 person staff, sold equity to business partners.
3 years in commercial real estate analysis for private equity real estate firms – financial analyst & associate positions.

Awards/Activities:

Athlete of the Year - High school
Captain of College Basketball Team
President of Fraternity Council – Comprised of 24 Fraternities
Private real estate investor – hobby / second income.
Stock Investment Club - hobby
Member of U.S. Green Building Council
Involved in Sizable Charity Org.

I’m thinking about applying to the following Schools (part time, or PM in California and full time outside of CA).

USC PM – Marshall
UCLA PM- Anderson
Berkley PM - Haas
Texas – McCombs (Full Time MBA)
Duke (longshot) – Fuqua (Full Time MBA)

I’ve only taken the GMAT once. I studied for about 4 weeks, and took one practice test beforehand. I’m debating on taking the test again, although I’m questioning whether I’ll be able to dedicate the necessary study time to improve and write effective essays to several schools in the next 1-2 months.

Thoughts / Suggestions ?

P.S. If Texas & Duke are unrealistic considering my profile, should I apply for their PM programs? I’m assuming I would be able to find a new job in either city relatively quickly if accepted. I’m hesitant to enroll in a 3 year part time program outside of CA, but I am attracted to the structure and prestige of Fuqua & McCombs.

Thank you so much for your time and help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:30 pm
Dear Part Time MBA,

A 660 definitely puts you in range for all of these programs, but a little below average. I'm not convinced it is enough to retake the GMAT, but then it might be worth another attempt if you have only taken it once. I think the schools would like to see another attempt and it would be helpful to get your score up even 20 points.

I do think you can write good applications and retake the GMAT in the next 3 months, but it will require exceptional time management and dedication. It might also require you to apply early in the second round for 1 or 2 programs (which is not a disadvantage).

I think you are right to apply to full-time programs outside of your geographic area. Otherwise, you will have to explain your plans to move to the area in a part-time application.

Based on your post, I feel good about your chances at these programs (even at a 660) assuming you put together a strong application package.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me