Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Economist GMAT

On rainy mornings, Mo drinks exactly N cups of hot chocolate (assume that N is an integer). On mornings that are not rainy, Mo drinks exactly 5 cups of tea. Last week Mo drank a total of 26 cups of tea and hot chocolate together. If during that week Mo drank 14 more tea cups than chocolate cups. Then how many rainy days were there last week?

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

OA B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:22 am
AAPL wrote:Economist GMAT

On rainy mornings, Mo drinks exactly N cups of hot chocolate (assume that N is an integer). On mornings that are not rainy, Mo drinks exactly 5 cups of tea. Last week Mo drank a total of 26 cups of tea and hot chocolate together. If during that week Mo drank 14 more tea cups than chocolate cups. Then how many rainy days were there last week?

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6
We can PLUG IN THE ANSWERS, which represent the number of rainy days.
When the correct answer is plugged in, the total number of cups = 26.

B: 3 rainy days, implying 4 non-rainy days
Since 5 cups of tea are consumed are on each of the 4 non-rainy days, the total number of tea cups = 5*4 = 20.
Since Mo drinks 14 more tea cups than chocolate cups, the total number of chocolate cups = 20-14 = 6.
Total number of cups = 20+6 = 26.
Success!

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:44 am
AAPL wrote:Economist GMAT

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

OA B
Let h = the number of cups of hot chocolate and t = the number of cups of tea. We have

h + t = 26

t - h = 14

Adding the two equations together, 2t = 40, and thus t = 20. Since Mo drank 20 cups of tea, there were 20/5 = 4 days which were not rainy and thus 7 - 4 = 3 days were rainy.

Answer: B

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage