00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 19)

Four cards are chosen from a standard deck: two aces (one of Spades, another of Hearts) and two kings (one of Spades, another of Hearts). The aces are considered as -1 (Spades) and 1 (Hearts), while the kings are considered as -2 (Spades) and 2 (Hearts). If two different cards among these four are randomly chosen, and their corresponding numerical values are multiplied together, which of the following is closest to the probability that the product obtained is negative or odd (or both)?

(A) 17%
(B) 50%
(C) 56%
(D) 67%
(E) 75%

Answer: [spoiler] ____(D)__[/spoiler]
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:03 am
fskilnik@GMATH wrote:GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 19)

Four cards are chosen from a standard deck: two aces (one of Spades, another of Hearts) and two kings (one of Spades, another of Hearts). The aces are considered as -1 (Spades) and 1 (Hearts), while the kings are considered as -2 (Spades) and 2 (Hearts). If two different cards among these four are randomly chosen, and their corresponding numerical values are multiplied together, which of the following is closest to the probability that the product obtained is negative or odd (or both)?

(A) 17%
(B) 50%
(C) 56%
(D) 67%
(E) 75%
The following cases are possible:
(-1)(1) = -1
(-1)(-2) = 2
(-1)(2) = -2
(1)(-2) = -2
(1)(2) = 2
(-2)(2) = -4
Of the 6 cases above, the 4 in blue each yield a product that is negative, odd or both:
4/6 = 2/3 ≈ 67%.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members

by fskilnik@GMATH » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 am
fskilnik@GMATH wrote:GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 19)

(A) 17%
(B) 50%
(C) 56%
(D) 67%
(E) 75%
$$\left\{ { - 2, - 1,1,2} \right\}\,\, \to \,\,{\rm{two}}\,{\rm{different}}\,\,{\rm{chosen}}$$
$$? = P\left( {{\rm{odd}}\,\,{\rm{or}}\,\,{\rm{negative}}\,\,{\rm{product}}} \right)$$
$${\rm{6}}\,\,{\rm{equiprobable}}\,\,{\rm{outcomes}}\,\,:\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,\left\{ { - 2, - 1} \right\},\left\{ {1,2} \right\}\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{product}}\,\,2} \right) \hfill \cr
\,\left\{ { - 2,1} \right\},\left\{ { - 1,2} \right\}\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{product}}\,\, - 2} \right)\,\,\,::\,\,\,2\,\,{\rm{favorable}}\,\,{\rm{outcomes}} \hfill \cr
\,\left\{ { - 2,2} \right\}\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{product}}\,\, - 4} \right)\,\,\,::\,\,\,1\,\,{\rm{favorable}}\,\,{\rm{outcome}} \hfill \cr
\,\left\{ { - 1,1} \right\}\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{product}}\,\, - 1} \right)\,\,\,::\,\,\,1\,\,{\rm{favorable}}\,\,{\rm{outcome}} \hfill \cr} \right.$$
$$?\,\, = \,\,{{2 + 1 + 1} \over 6}\,\, = \,\,{2 \over 3}\,\, \cong \,\,67\% $$

The correct answer is (D).

We follow the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br