Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 2)

Click on the image to open it in a much larger version!

Answer: [spoiler]____(B)__[/spoiler]
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

A*B

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:34 pm
fskilnik@GMATH wrote:GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 2)

The system will have an infinite number of solutions for (x, y) if the two equations are THE SAME:
2(x+y) - A = 0 --> 2x + 2y - A = 0 --> 6x + 6y - 3A = 0
3x + By - 6 = 0 -----------------------> 6x +2By - 12 = 0
The equations in blue will be the same if 3A=12 and 2B=6, with the result that A=4, B=3, and A*B=12.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members

by fskilnik@GMATH » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:48 pm
fskilnik@GMATH wrote:GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 2)

Mitch´s nice solution is based on the fact that (A and B already fixed,) the solution sets of ordered pairs (x,y) that satisfy each equation alone represent (each one) a line in the rectangular coordinate system.

We have two lines in the plane, hence they are concurrent (just one point (x,y) in common), parallel and distinct (no point (x,y) in common) or parallel and coincident (every point (x,y) in common).

From the question stem, we are looking for the last scenario, and Mitch´s solution is validated.

Let me present an alternate solution, using not only algebraic operations, but only algebraic arguments/insights. (We offer this problem in our SECOND class... no Analytic Geometry yet!)

$$? = A \cdot B\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{system}}\,\,{\rm{with}}\,\,{\rm{more}}\,\,{\rm{than}}\,\,{\rm{one}}\,\,{\rm{solution}}} \right)$$
$$\left\{ \matrix{
\,2\left( {x + y} \right) - A = 0 \hfill \cr
\,3x + By - 6 = 0 \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\, \cong \,\,\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,2x + 2y = A\,\,\,\left( { \cdot \,3} \right) \hfill \cr
\,3x + By = 6\,\,\,\left( { \cdot \,2} \right) \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\, \cong \,\,\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,6x + 6y = 3A\,\,\left( * \right) \hfill \cr
\,6x + 2By = 12 \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( - \right)} \,\,\,\,\,y\left( {6 - 2B} \right) = 3\left( {A - 4} \right)\,\,\,\,\left( {**} \right)$$
$$6 - 2B \ne 0\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( {**} \right)} \,\,\,\,y = {{3\left( {A - 4} \right)} \over {6 - 2B}}\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,\,\,\,\,x = {1 \over 6}\left\{ {3A - 6\left[ {{{3\left( {A - 4} \right)} \over {6 - 2B}}} \right]} \right\}\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{A,B\,\,{\rm{given}}} \,\,\,\,\left( {x,y} \right)\,\,\,{\rm{unique}}\,\,{\rm{solution}}\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,{\rm{impossible}}$$
$$6 - 2B = 0\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,B = 3\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( {**} \right)} \,\,\,A = 4\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,? = AB = 12$$

The correct answer is (B).

We follow the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br