00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The ratio of milk and water in a mixture is 2 : 1. Some quantity of water is added to the mixture to make the ratio of milk and water in the new mixture 1 : 2. The quantity of water added to the original mixture is what percent of the quantity of water in the original mixture?

A 150
B 200
C 300
D 100
E 120

source - india cl gmat book

if the post tingled your grey cells kindly press the upvote button .... thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:48 am
vishwash wrote:The ratio of milk and water in a mixture is 2 : 1. Some quantity of water is added to the mixture to make the ratio of milk and water in the new mixture 1 : 2. The quantity of water added to the original mixture is what percent of the quantity of water in the original mixture?

A 150
B 200
C 300
D 100
E 120
The ratio of milk and water in a mixture is 2:1,
Let milk = 2 liters and water = 1 liter.

Some quantity of water is added to the mixture to make the ratio of milk and water in the new mixture 1:2.
Since the resulting amount of water must be double the original 2 liters of milk, the resulting amount of water = 4 liters.

The quantity of water added to the original mixture is what percent of the quantity of water in the original mixture?
Since the water increases from 1 liter to 4 liters, the amount of added water = 4-1 = 3 liters.
(added water)/(original water) * 100 = (3/1) * 100 = 300%,

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 pm
vishwash wrote:The ratio of milk and water in a mixture is 2 : 1. Some quantity of water is added to the mixture to make the ratio of milk and water in the new mixture 1 : 2. The quantity of water added to the original mixture is what percent of the quantity of water in the original mixture?

A 150
B 200
C 300
D 100
E 120

source - india cl gmat book

if the post tingled your grey cells kindly press the upvote button .... thanks

We can assume the original mixture has 2 gallons of milk and 1 gallon of water. Since the amount of milk doesn't change, we must add 3 gallons of water into the mixture to make the ratio of milk and water to 1 : 2 (since now we would have 2 gallons of milk and 4 gallons of water). Therefore, the amount of water (3 gallons) added is 300% of the amount of water (1 gallon) in the original mixture.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage