00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 19)

If Rebeca drives to work at x mph she will be one minute late, but if she drives at y mph she will be one minute early. How far (in miles) does Rebeca drive to work?

(1) x and y differ by seven miles per hour.
(2) y is 11% greater than x.

Answer: [spoiler]____(C)__[/spoiler]
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members

by fskilnik@GMATH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

fskilnik@GMATH wrote:GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 19)

If Rebeca drives to work at x mph she will be one minute late, but if she drives at y mph she will be one minute early. How far (in miles) does Rebeca drive to work?

(1) x and y differ by seven miles per hour.
(2) y is 11% greater than x.
$$?\,\, = \,\,d\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{miles}}} \right)$$
$$\left. \matrix{
\left( {{\rm{late}}} \right)\,\,:\,\,\,d\,\,{\rm{miles}}\left( {{{60\,\,\min } \over {x\,\,{\rm{miles}}}}} \right)\,\,\, = \,\,\,{{60d} \over x}\,\,\min \,\,\, \hfill \cr
\left( {{\rm{early}}} \right)\,\,:\,\,\,d\,\,{\rm{miles}}\left( {{{60\,\,\min } \over {y\,\,{\rm{miles}}}}} \right)\,\,\, = \,\,\,{{60d} \over y}\,\,\min \hfill \cr} \right\}\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{{\rm{stem}}} \,\,\,\,\,\,{{60d} \over x} - {{60d} \over y} = 2\,\,\,\,\left[ {\min } \right]\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,30d\left( {{1 \over x} - {1 \over y}} \right) = 1\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( * \right)$$

$$\left( 1 \right)\,\,\,y - x = 7\,\,\,\left( {y > x} \right)\,\,\,\,\left[ {mph} \right]$$
$$\left\{ \matrix{
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( {1,8} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,\,\,\,30d\left( {1 - {1 \over 8}} \right) = 1\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{{\rm{viable}}!} \,\,\,\,\,? = {8 \over 7}\left( {{1 \over {30}}} \right) \hfill \cr
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( {2,9} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,\,\,\,30d\left( {{1 \over 2} - {1 \over 9}} \right) = 1\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{{\rm{viable}}!} \,\,\,\,\,? \ne {8 \over 7}\left( {{1 \over {30}}} \right) \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,{\rm{INSUFF}}.$$

$$\left( 2 \right)\,\,\,y = {{111} \over {100}}x\,\,\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( {1,{{111} \over {100}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,\,\,\,30d\left( {1 - {{100} \over {111}}} \right) = 1\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{{\rm{viable}}!} \,\,\,\,\,? = {{111} \over {11}}\left( {{1 \over {30}}} \right) \hfill \cr
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( {100,111} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,\,\,\,30d\left( {{1 \over {100}} - {1 \over {111}}} \right) = 1\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{{\rm{viable}}!} \,\,\,\,\,? \ne {{111} \over {11}}\left( {{1 \over {30}}} \right) \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,{\rm{INSUFF}}.$$

$$\left( {1 + 2} \right)\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,y - x = 7 \hfill \cr
\,y = {{111} \over {100}}x \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{{111} \over {100}}x - x = 7\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,x\,\,{\rm{unique}}\,\,\,\,\,\left( {y = x + 7\,\,{\rm{unique}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,\,\,\,\,d\,\,{\rm{unique}}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,{\rm{SUFF}}.$$

The correct answer is (C).

We follow the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

Rebeca

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:31 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

To make the math easier, we can replace the given values with rounder numbers, as follows:
fskilnik@GMATH wrote:GMATH practice exercise (Quant Class 19)

If Rebeca drives to work at x mph she will be one hour late, but if she drives at y mph she will be one hour early. How far (in miles) does Rebeca drive to work?

(1) x and y differ by 10 miles per hour.
(2) y is 50% greater than x.
Since Rebeca arrives 1 hour late when traveling at the lower speed and 1 hour early when traveling at the higher speed, the time at the lower speed must be 2 hours greater than the time at the higher speed.

Statement 1:
Case 1: x = 10 mph and y = 20 mph
Since the rate ratio = 10:20 = 1:2, the time ratio = 2:1 = 4:2, implying 4 hours at the lower speed and 2 hours at the higher speed.
Since the trip takes 4 hours when traveling at the lower speed of 10 mph, the distance = 10*4 = 40 miles.

Case 2: x = 20 mph and y = 30 mph
Since the rate ratio = 20:30 = 2:3, the time ratio = 3:2 = 6:4, implying 6 hours at the lower speed and 4 hours at the higher speed.
Since the trip takes 6 hours when traveling at the lower speed of 20 mph, the distance = 20*6 = 120 miles.

Since the distance can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
Case 2 also satisfies Statement 2.
In Case 2, the distance = 120 miles.

Case 3: x = 2 mph and y = 3 mph
Since the rate ratio = 2:3, the time ratio = 3:2 = 6:4, implying 6 hours at the lower speed and 4 hours at the higher speed.
Since the trip takes 6 hours when traveling at the lower speed of 2 mph, the distance = 2*6 = 12 miles.

Since the distance can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Only Case 2 satisfies both statements.
In Case 2, the distance = 120 miles.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by fskilnik@GMATH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Mitch!

Thanks for joining.

We all know that Data Sufficiency is related to the uniqueness (and viability) of potential answers, but "easier math" is a nice contribution.

Just one important detail. Rebeca (my mother!) has only one "c", please... ;)

Regards,
Fabio.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:48 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

fskilnik@GMATH wrote:Just one important detail. Rebeca (my mother!) has only one "c", please... ;).
In deference to your mother, the offensive second "c" has been removed from my solution.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by fskilnik@GMATH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: In deference to your mother, the offensive second "c" has been removed from my solution.
LoL... I was only joking, but I thank you for that.
You are not only an excellent teacher/professional... you are a gentleman!
Have a great weekend!
Regards,
Fabio.