This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by jarome101 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:44 am
Hi, I think I may be your 1st post. Here is my profile
• 3.5 GPA from a non-Ivy in the Northeast
• Double major- Finance & Computer Science
• GMAT 610, AWA 6
• 3 Years W/E – Financial Management Rotational Program, loads of special projects
• Strong EC’s
• Chairperson of Community Outreach committee @ work, lead several different projects in the local community
• 2 Strong recommendations from direct managers
• I am taking the GMAT again but in case I do not go up please evaluate for the following schools: BC & Georgetown

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

Evaluation

by Graham » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:10 pm
Dear Jarome101,

First off, thanks for being the very first person to post to the Clear Admit area of the forum! It's a pleasure to be of help here.

As to your profile, see my comments below:

• 3.5 GPA from a non-Ivy in the Northeast
>>As the average GPA for admitted students to top programs is typically in the 3.4-3.6 range, this looks solid. I'd love to know which school you attended, since a "non-Ivy" could mean Amherst College just as easily as it could mean U. Conn, and those two programs may be viewed differently by the adcoms...

• Double major- Finance & Computer Science
>>Both majors suggest that you can handle the quantitatively rigorous components of an MBA program, which is definitely a positive. It's also nice to see that you've got two fairly different areas that you focused on. The only potential issue here will be standing out in the applicant pool, as there are hundreds of applicants applying who have focused on finance/bus. admin or computer science. (Of course, few have done BOTH, so my hope is that your double major works to your advantage).

• GMAT 610, AWA 6
>>Your GMAT score is about 100 points below the average score at the top 10 schools - and about 70-80 points below the average at the next tier. How many times have you taken the exam? If this is your only result, you should absolutely consider taking it a second time. The AWA isn't going to help you much, as it's not nearly as important as the other elements in your academic profile.

• 3 Years W/E – Financial Management Rotational Program, loads of special projects
>>This sounds promising. I'd love to know more about which company this is for and what you plan to do next, etc.

• Strong EC’s
• Chairperson of Community Outreach committee @ work, lead several different projects in the local community
>>Great. The key will be showcasing this involvement and mapping it to future contribution/contribution to the MBA community you join. In other words, show the adcom how you intend to get involved if admitted.

>>Great. I'd love to know more about their backgrounds, but they sound promising.

• I am taking the GMAT again but in case I do not go up please evaluate for the following schools: BC & Georgetown
>>As per my comments above, it would be ideal to retake the exam. Put another way, if you could boost your score substantially, my guess is that you'd be able to aim for a set of schools that is more top-15 than top-25.

If you cannot retake/boost your score you will fall below the averages at both Georgetown (678) and BC (651). While I wouldn't say that getting into either program with a 610 is impossible (and I'd need more information about your background to fully estimate your odds), it certainly can only help to retake - because at minimum it demonstrates that you are aware that your scores are below the average at your target programs and are making a good faith effort to improve.

Feel free to post further questions to the forum. We're here to help.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

by jarome101 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:05 am
Hello & thank you for taking time out of your time to review this, I also had one question which I will post at the end

>>As the average GPA for admitted students to top programs is typically in the 3.4-3.6 range, this looks solid. I'd love to know which school you attended, since a "non-Ivy" could mean Amherst College just as easily as it could mean U. Conn, and those two programs may be viewed differently by the adcoms, the school is Bryant University, small business school in RI

>>Both majors suggest that you can handle the quantitatively rigorous components of an MBA program, which is definitely a positive. It's also nice to see that you've got two fairly different areas that you focused on. The only potential issue here will be standing out in the applicant pool, as there are hundreds of applicants applying who have focused on finance/bus. admin or computer science. (Of course, few have done BOTH, so my hope is that your double major works to your advantage). --- I have utilized both which I am showing through essays

>>Your GMAT score is about 100 points below the average score at the top 10 schools - and about 70-80 points below the average at the next tier. How many times have you taken the exam? If this is your only result, you should absolutely consider taking it a second time. The AWA isn't going to help you much, as it's not nearly as important as the other elements in your academic profile. – Will address below

>>This sounds promising. I'd love to know more about which company this is for and what you plan to do next, etc. , it is for a Fortune 100 Insurance Company, which makes the experience a little more diverse then a typical investment role, I have also worked directly with the treasurer, been on projects for the corporate CFO, and co-led a 40 million dollar budget for a business unit

>>Great. The key will be showcasing this involvement and mapping it to future contribution/contribution to the MBA community you join. In other words, show the adcom how you intend to get involved if admitted.
I have shown this through my essays, it is sincere and something I have been committed to doing throughout my entire life which makes it very easy to discuss and show real authenticity (I know sometimes adcoms think areas are fake)

>>Great. I'd love to know more about their backgrounds, but they sound promising.
Both managers are VP level and know me pretty close on a personal and professional level

>>As per my comments above, it would be ideal to retake the exam. Put another way, if you could boost your score substantially, my guess is that you'd be able to aim for a set of schools that is more top-15 than top-25. ,

If you cannot retake/boost your score you will fall below the averages at both Georgetown (678) and BC (651). While I wouldn't say that getting into either program with a 610 is impossible (and I'd need more information about your background to fully estimate your odds), it certainly can only help to retake - because at minimum it demonstrates that you are aware that your scores are below the average at your target programs and are making a good faith effort to improve.

I have taken the test twice and will take it a third time, I also took a prep class to get ready but do not know if that will help, also give me your opinion on Vanderbilt (my chances)?

A couple more Q’s

I think my diverse experience, background will help certain areas, I was thinking about UNC early decision for a couple of reasons
• Shows I am definitely committed to going
• One of the optional questions is addressing a low GMAT directly, if I do not go up, here I would suggest that I would take the necessary prep work including (but not limited to) going to UNC early and taking a non credit course, taking a course at a local college (Yale) for non credit to show my determination or getting a strong LOR (as a third) from a college professor and showing my strong grades in my quant courses

by Graham » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:45 pm
Thanks for your reply - and for clarifying some aspects of your background.

As to your questions:

1) Odds at Vanderbilt. My opinion on your odds at Vanderbilt isn't terribly different from what I offered about Georgetown and BC. You will still face a bit of a handicap with your current GMAT result. Hopefully the third time you take the test goes well - and that fact that you have taken a prep course is a plus (assuming you are putting lots of time into taking full-length tests, working on problems, etc).

2) UNC Early Round. If you are setting your sites on UNC, it certainly makes sense to apply early - especially if there is a chance that your GMAT will not go up. As to the optional essay, you'd certainly want to use it to address the GMAT if you cannot boost your 610. Of course, be careful about using coursework you have yet to complete as a way to address the GMAT liability. The best way to tackle a low GMAT is to point to your undergraduate performance in relevant subjects and recent outside coursework that has already been completed (or at least is in progress). Mentioning that you 'intend' to take classes after gaining admission is sort of an empty promise. While I know your intentions are good, the adcom can really only rely on completed coursework in assessing your ability. In other words, you'd be better off signing up for that outside coursework now and getting started - so that you can mention that you are currently taking a course - rather than just promising the adcom that it's something you intend to do.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

by jarome101 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:38 am
Graham, I can’t thank you enough, I will also mention the quantitative nature of my job and quantitative classes I took as part of work. The reason I mentioned taking classes is I believe the UNC questions ask what you would do? As far as schools go, someone suggested adding Indiana and Maryland to be on the safe side, they thought Maryland was obtainable and my profile fits Indiana well. I think if I prepare strong essays, present my academics strongly, and apply to BC, Gtown, Indiana, UNC (ED), Maryland and Indiana, that I have a decent chance that I will get one school that likes my experience and feels my ugrad grades will be enough to outweigh a low GMAT. Thoughts on that statement?

by Graham » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 pm
jarome101 wrote:Graham, I can’t thank you enough, I will also mention the quantitative nature of my job and quantitative classes I took as part of work. The reason I mentioned taking classes is I believe the UNC questions ask what you would do? As far as schools go, someone suggested adding Indiana and Maryland to be on the safe side, they thought Maryland was obtainable and my profile fits Indiana well. I think if I prepare strong essays, present my academics strongly, and apply to BC, Gtown, Indiana, UNC (ED), Maryland and Indiana, that I have a decent chance that I will get one school that likes my experience and feels my ugrad grades will be enough to outweigh a low GMAT. Thoughts on that statement?
Jarome,

Thanks for the kind words!

As to your question, it is always a good idea to spread your risk by applying to a broad selection of programs. Again, I think you have a good profile overall - with just one major weakness in the GMAT result. Ideally, if you target all the schools you have listed, you will wind up with some offers - but I would not downplay the importance of improving your results on the GMAT when you retake.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

by jarome101 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 am
Thanks Graham, I am taking it again but can not wait until Mid-October to start devising a plan, especially if I am applying R1. I will take it work hard on that as well as essays. I think they are coming out very strong, I am feeling confident in them. I am hoping to get an offer, if my GMAT goes up that will only reinforce the strength of my applications. And if it goes up significantly to where I get on practice tests (680-710), I will include a couple of new schools.