My Chances - Problem Low GPA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

My Chances - Problem Low GPA

by dmalviya » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:05 am
Hi,

I am a male/Indian with 2 years of work experience in Morgan Stanley and Yahoo(1 year in each). I will have 3 years of work exp. by the time I join the institute. I am an alumnus of IIT, Kanpur(one of the best colleges in India). I have strong extra curriculars and have been founder of one of the student clubs in the institute. My GMAT score was 780 (q -51, v - 47). Now comes the problem :(. My GPA is 2.9/4.0). But I do have a lot of research exposure outside of my engineering discipline in which I was really interested in. Can you please comment on my chances in INSEAD, wharton and stanford.

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:09 am
Hello,

The high GMAT will help mitigate the low GPA more than the research will. However, you should include a succinct explanation of why the GPA is low in an optional essay or additional information. Also, I can’t tell from your write-up whether your performance at these top firms exceeds the usual for someone of your level. It will also be helpful to show superior, fast-track work experience within these top tier firms. The GPA will affect your chances, but with a clear explanation, high GMAT, and an assumed strong work performance, it won’t automatically negate your chances with top program. Of course, a critical factor for admission to such programs is appropriate and thoughtfully elucidated goals.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com