00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

A. unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply
B. unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply
C. unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending
D. consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves
E. consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

Re: The commerce...

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:23 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question so we can narrow it down to the correct option.

The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply
(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply
(C) unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending
(D) consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves
(E) consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves

After taking a quick glance over each of the options, two major differences jumped out to me that we must address:

1. Linking the two events with the words "as" or "with"
2. The verb "slow": is slowed/slowed/slowing/was slowing/has slowed

Which item would eliminate the most options quickly? Number 1 - using "with" or "as" to link together both events. No matter which one you choose, it will knock off either 2 or 3 options immediately, giving you a better chance of finding the right one!

Since we are talking about two events that happen at the same time, it is best to use the word "as" to link them together.

The word "with" forces writers to use gerunds or awkward phrases like "with a sharp slowing of" or "with the piling up of." So let's eliminate answers C, D, and E right away because they don't use the best word to connect the two events.

This leaves us with only A and B to choose from, which should make this an easier choice! Let's focus on A and B, and look closely for any glaring problems in one or the other:

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply

Okay, so I already see a red flag in this answer! This sentence is discussing events that all happened in the past, yet this sentence uses the present tense "is slowed." This answer is INCORRECT because it uses an improper verb tense!

(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply

This leaves us with only one option left, and it is the CORRECT answer. Answer B uses past tense verbs throughout ("were" and "slowed"), and it clearly shows that both events were happening at the same time.

There you go - option B is the correct answer!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BFR wrote:The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

A. unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply
B. unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply
C. unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending
D. consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves
E. consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves
Dear GMATGuru,

In the OA, should not the progressive past tense attached to simple past tense after using when or while? for example:

While I was eating, my kid arrived home.

Can you elaborate please?

Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:16 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,

In the OA, should not the progressive past tense attached to simple past tense after using when or while? for example:

While I was eating, my kid arrived home.

Can you elaborate please?

Thanks in advance
were + VERBing is the plural form of the PAST PROGRESSIVE tense (also known as the past continuous tense).
The past progressive tenses serve to express actions that happen CONTINUOUSLY FOR A LIMITED DURATION OF TIME.

OA: While businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods were piling up on store shelves.
Here, the purpose of the past progressive verbs in blue is to convey that both actions happened continuously in the past for a limited duration of time.

The following would not be grammatically incorrect:
While businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves.
Here, the verb in red (simple past) conveys that the act of piling happened at some point in the past.
This verb does NOT convey that the act of piling happened CONTINUOUSLY in the past FOR A LIMITED DURATION OF TIME.
Thus, the verb in red -- while correct -- does not convey the intended meaning of the OA.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:55 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BFR wrote:The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

in C, "with" without comma is used to show an instrument of the main clause.
I write with a pen.
so, the use of "with" is incorrect.
in D, though "with+noun+noun modifier" can work as adverb, we lack an action presented by doing such as "piling" . so, "with" phrase can not modify the main clause
in E, "with" phrase is correct. but "has slowed" is wrong.