The deer, despite having traveled hundreds of miles

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530
The deer, despite having traveled hundreds of miles from their home to reach the Canadian wilderness and therefore being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled to acclimate to the habitat that wildlife biologists had predicted would enable them to thrive.

(A) despite having traveled hundreds of miles from their home to reach the Canadian wilderness and therefore being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers

(B) despite having traveled hundreds of miles from home to the Canadian wilderness where they would now be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers

(C) despite having traveled hundreds of miles from home to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers

(D) even after traveling hundreds of miles from their home to reach the Canadian wilderness where they could freely roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers

(E) who had traveled hundreds of miles from home to the Canadian wilderness that would offer them freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers

I thought OA is C here.

No clue how to eliminate here. Please help!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:54 pm
I was going to say that getting this one right is all about meaning and go into a long explanation.

Then ... I remembered that I had seen this one before and that it is a trick question.

Did you copy it correctly? When I saw it before, at the end it did not say enable them to thrive. It said enable it to thrive. Therefore, one could eliminate all but C because the other answer choices all include pronouns that don't match the singular it.

Having said that, there is an answer choice that I actually would prefer to C, if the it were instead them. So if the them is correctly copied in this version, let me know and I will explain why that other answer choice is better.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Nick0203 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:10 am
A - their is incorrectly referring to singular deer.
B - they in the second part incorrectly referring to singular deer. Also the usage where they would now be is not appropriate.
C - Correct. Grammatically correct, precise and concise. The deer, at the beginning of the sentence, can be plural or singular, the "it" tells us it is singular.
D - they in the second part incorrectly referring to singular deer.
E - The second part explaining Canadian wilderness should be in present tense.