Mr. Janeck and Ms.Suizdak

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Mr. Janeck and Ms.Suizdak

by Pdgmat2010 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:58 pm
Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You're wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.
M. Siuzdak's response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck's remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one's ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.

Pls note that although this question has been discussed on this forum 2 years ago, I was not satisfied with the explanations provided ( also there were no expert replies on the question)
Posting it here again as I am confused about the answer

My analysis follows :
A. Mr. Janeck does not speak about the qualification of the candidate. Lack of experience is a better choice of words, but there is difference between being unqualified or being inexperienced. reject
B.Use of extreme words 'no candidate w/o political exp has ever been governer' is an exaggeration of the stimulus. reject
C. on the contrary, he does not believe this and hence this is a wrong answer
D.Too exaggerated, nowhere supported in the stimulus
E. Generally -> corresponds to 'few voters are willing to consider ' meaning that the vast majority are not willing to consider business experience in a candidate as sufficient for politics. Correct Answer

But the OA is A
Please help me

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:35 pm
see below
Last edited by kevincanspain on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:36 pm
Pdgmat2010 wrote:Mr. Janeck: I don't believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You're wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.
M. Siuzdak's response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck's remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one's ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.

Please help me
Note that Mr. Janeck is making a prediction only regarding how voters in general will act. He is not saying that voters would be right to reject a candidate without political experience. However, in an effort to counter what he says, Ms. Siuzdak claims that Stevenson's corporate managment experience qualifies (prepares) him for the job of governor. In raising this objection, Siuzak assumes that Mr. Janeck's own views are consistent with the views he claims that voters hold.

Lisa: The blind date you have arranged for Karen is bound to disappoint her: you know he is bald, don't you?
Fay: I can't believe how superficial you are- Brad is a lovely man!
Lisa: Wait a sec! Don't get me wrong. I think Brad is a great catch. It's just that Karen has sworn off bald men ever since Bruce Willis broke her heart.
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by Pdgmat2010 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:56 pm
Thanks a lot Kevin.
I have duly noted your explanation in my log and this trap for further questions.

Trap : Ms S counters Mr J's comments by believing that he reflects the opinion of the people he has mentioned in his argument.
So she feels that Mr J believes that Stevenson is not qualified for the governor's post.

I was alarmed when i read the word ' unqualified' but the way you've explained it has made me understand the real reason for the OA to be correct and my answer to be wrong.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Nick0203 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:02 am
)(A) Correct.Siuzdak counters Janeck's statement by saying that the experience of running a major corporation is a valuable experience to run for office and that he is qualified. This means that Siuzdak interpreted Janeck's remark to be suggesting that Stevenson was unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) Mr. Janeck does not say this. He does imply that Many voters would not vote for a businessman with no political experience. What about a Lawyer with no political experience? This statement says No Candidate, regardless of previous work/career experience, has been elected without political experience.
(C) Mr. Janeck says the exact opposite
(D) The issue is experience here. Not how profit chasing affects the character of a person and makes him unsuitable for government office.
(E) is incorrect because she overlooked voters completely and responded to MrJaneck as if he had said the following: "A businessman with no political experience should not be elected to such a responsible public office."