Crops in the future market.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Crops in the future market.

by amysky_0205 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:43 pm
Crops can be traded on the futures market before they are harvested. If a poor corn harvest is predicted, prices
of corn futures rise; if a bountiful corn harvest is predicted, prices of corn futures fall. This morning meteorologists are predicting much-needed rain for the corn-growing region starting tomorrow. Therefore, since adequate moisture is essential for the current crop's survival, prices of corn futures will fall sharply today.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument above?

(A) Corn that does not receive adequate moisture during its critical pollination stage will not produce a
bountiful harvest.

(B) Futures prices for corn have been fluctuating more dramatically this season than last season.

(C) The rain that meteorologists predicted for tomorrow is expected to extend well beyond the corn-growing
region.

(D) Agriculture experts announced today that a disease that has devastated some of the corn crop will spread
widely before the end of the growing season.

(E) Most people who trade in corn futures rarely take physical possession of the corn they trade.

OA: D

I narrowed down the answer to A, D and E.
can someone explain~~ thank u!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:41 pm
=
amysky_0205 wrote:Crops can be traded on the futures market before they are harvested. If a poor corn harvest is predicted, prices
of corn futures rise; if a bountiful corn harvest is predicted, prices of corn futures fall. This morning meteorologists are predicting much-needed rain for the corn-growing region starting tomorrow. Therefore, since adequate moisture is essential for the current crop's survival, prices of corn futures will fall sharply today.

(A) Corn that does not receive adequate moisture during its critical pollination stage will not produce a
bountiful harvest.

(B) Futures prices for corn have been fluctuating more dramatically this season than last season.

(C) The rain that meteorologists predicted for tomorrow is expected to extend well beyond the corn-growing
region.

(D) Agriculture experts announced today that a disease that has devastated some of the corn crop will spread

(E) Most people who trade in corn futures rarely take physical possession of the corn they trade.

Premises:
This morning meteorologists are predicting MUCH-NEEDED RAIN for the corn-growing region starting tomorrow.
If A BOUNTIFUL CORN HARVEST is predicted, prices of corn futures fall.

Conclusion:
Prices of corn futures will fall sharply today.

Assumption:
Predicting MUCH-NEEDED RAIN = A BOUNTIFUL CORN HARVEST is predicted.

The correct answer will weaken the conclusion by attacking this assumption.

Answer choice D: Agriculture experts announced today that a disease that has devastated some of the corn crop will spread widely before the end of the growing season.
Thus, it is NOT true that a bountiful harvest is predicted, WEAKENING the conclusion that prices of corn futures will fall.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nasheen » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:54 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:=
amysky_0205 wrote:Crops can be traded on the futures market before they are harvested. If a poor corn harvest is predicted, prices

bountiful harvest.

region.

Premises:
This morning meteorologists are predicting MUCH-NEEDED RAIN for the corn-growing region starting tomorrow.
If A BOUNTIFUL CORN HARVEST is predicted, prices of corn futures fall.

Conclusion:
Prices of corn futures will fall sharply today.

Assumption:
Predicting MUCH-NEEDED RAIN = A BOUNTIFUL CORN HARVEST is predicted.

The correct answer will weaken the conclusion by attacking this assumption.

Answer choice D: Agriculture experts announced today that a disease that has devastated some of the corn crop will spread widely before the end of the growing season.
Thus, it is NOT true that a bountiful harvest is predicted, WEAKENING the conclusion that prices of corn futures will fall.

The correct answer is D.
Hey GMATGuruNY,
can you explain why other options are wrong?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by suyashtcs » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:01 am
A is some what Strengthening the argument.. Am I right?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Nick0203 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 am
)(A) describes when the best time for rain is. However, it does not describe whether the prices will rise or fall today. Out of scope.
(B) Comparison betwee this season and the last is not important for the argument at stake; it neither supports nor refutes the conclusion that prices will fall.
(C) It doesn't matter if the rain goes beyond the corn-growing area because we need only that which affects the corn growth. Out of Scope.
(D) Correct. This gives us a reason the prices will rise (disease kills crop, cuts supply, demand remains) even though the rain appears to be something that will make a good harvest and prices should fall.
(E) Future trade is irrelevant