Like temperate storms, the circulation

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Like temperate storms, the circulation

by NandishSS » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:54 am
Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator- and then clockwise south of the equator.

A) Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator and then clockwise
B) Like those of temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise when it is north of the equator and clockwise when
C) The circulation of hurricanes, as it is with temperate storms, always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise
D) As temperate storms are, hurricanes' circulation is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise when
E)The circulation of hurricanes, like that of temperate storms, is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise

OA:E

Please Explain POE

Source:GMATPrep EP2

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:02 am
NandishSS wrote:Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator- and then clockwise south of the equator.

A) Like temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise north of the equator and then clockwise
B) Like those of temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes is always counterclockwise when it is north of the equator and clockwise when
C) The circulation of hurricanes, as it is with temperate storms, always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise
D) As temperate storms are, hurricanes' circulation is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise when
E)The circulation of hurricanes, like that of temperate storms, is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise
A: Like temperate storms, the circulation
Here, STORMS are illogically compared to THE CIRCULATION.
Eliminate A.

B: Like those of temperate storms, the circulation of hurricanes
Here, those (plural) does not agree with the circulation (singular).
Eliminate B.

In C, the circulation (subject) lacks a verb.
The result is an incomplete sentence.
Eliminate C.

D: As temperate storms are, hurricanes' circulation is
Here, the state-of-being of STORMS is illogically compared to the state-of-being of CIRCULATION.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:11 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Eliminate C.
Hi GMATGuru,

If choice C has a verb, could be correct? Is 'as it is with temperate storms' correct?

thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:00 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Eliminate C.
Hi GMATGuru,

If choice C has a verb, could be correct? Is 'as it is with temperate storms' correct?

thanks
In C, it seems to refer to the circulation of hurricanes, conveying the following meaning:
The circulation of hurricanes, as the circulation of hurricanes is with temperate storms.
The clause in red does not convey a clear meaning.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by meenakshimiyer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm
Answer choice A and D are comparing temperature storms with the circulation of hurricane, which is wrong. The comparison must be of temperature storms with hurricane. So, A and D are eliminated. In answer choice B, plural "those" is used for the singular "circulation of hurricane", which is wrong. So, we can eliminate B. Answer choice C lacks verb before "always". Answer choice E has the correct structure. Hence, E is the answer.