00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Brady, Charlie, and Daryl play on the same baseball team. The number of home runs hit by Brady in a particular season is what fraction of the total home runs hit by the three players in that season?

(1) Brady hit 12 home runs in that season.
(2) In that season, the number of home runs hit by Brady was twice the number hit by Charlie and Daryl combined.

OA B

Source: Princeton Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorDC wrote:Brady, Charlie, and Daryl play on the same baseball team. The number of home runs hit by Brady in a particular season is what fraction of the total home runs hit by the three players in that season?

(2) In that season, the number of home runs hit by Brady was twice the number hit by Charlie and Daryl combined.

OA B

Source: Princeton Review
Given: Brady, Charlie, and Daryl play on the same baseball team.

Target question: The number of home runs hit by Brady in a particular season is what fraction of the total home runs hit by the three players in that season?
This is a good candidate for rephrasing the target question.

Let B = number of home runs that Brady hit
Let C = number of home runs that Charlie hit
Let D = number of home runs that Daryl hit

So, B + C + D = the TOTAL number of home runs hit
So, the fraction of the total home runs that Brady hit = B/(B + C + D)

REPHRASED target question: What is the value of B/(B + C + D)?

Aside: Here's a video with tips on rephrasing the target question: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... cy?id=1100

Statement 1: Brady hit 12 home runs in that season.
Since we have no information about the number of home runs that Charlie (C), and Daryl (D) hit, there's no way to answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty.
So, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: In that season, the number of home runs hit by Brady was twice the number hit by Charlie and Daryl combined.
So, we can write: B = 2(C + D) = 2C + 2d

Now take B/(B + C + D) and replace B with 2C + 2d to get: (2C + 2D)/(2C + 2D + C + D)
Simplify to get: (2C + 2D)/(3C + 3D)
Factor top and bottom to get: 2(C + D)/3(C + D)
Simplify to get: 2/3
So, the answer to the REPHRASED target question is B/(B + C + D) = 2/3
Since we can answer the REPHRASED target question with certainty, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:45 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorDC wrote:Brady, Charlie, and Daryl play on the same baseball team. The number of home runs hit by Brady in a particular season is what fraction of the total home runs hit by the three players in that season?

Statement 1:
No information about Charlie or Daryl.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
For every 2 home run hits made by Charlie and Daryl combined, Brady made 4 home run hits, implying that Brady made 4 of every 6 home run hits:
4/6 = 2/3.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3