00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A geometric sequence is one in which the ratio of any term after the first to the preceding term is a constant. If the letters a, b, c, d represent a geometric sequence in normal alphabetical order, which of the following must also represent a geometric sequence for all values of k?

I. dk, ck, bk, ak
II. a+k, b+2k, c+3k, d+4k
III. ak^4, bk^3, ck^2, dk

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. II and III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

The OA is D.

Source: Manhattan Prep

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members

by fskilnik@GMATH » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:03 pm
swerve wrote:A geometric sequence is one in which the ratio of any term after the first to the preceding term is a constant. If the letters a, b, c, d represent a geometric sequence in normal alphabetical order, which of the following must also represent a geometric sequence for all nonzero values of k?

I. dk, ck, bk, ak

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. II and III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III
Important: the fact that a,b,c,d is a given GP in that order guarantees, implicitly, that a,b, c and d are not zero. Think about that!

$$\left( {\rm{I}} \right)\,\,\,\,{{ck} \over {dk}} = {{bk} \over {ck}} = {{ak} \over {bk}}\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,{c \over d} = {b \over c} = {a \over b}\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( { \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,{d \over c} = {c \over b} = {b \over a}} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,a,b,c,d\,\,\,{\rm{GP}}\,\,\,:\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,{\rm{refute}}\,\,\,\,\left( {\rm{C}} \right)$$

$$\left( {{\rm{II}}} \right)\,\,\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,{\rm{GP}}\,\,\left( {a,b,c,d} \right) = \left( {1,2,4,8} \right)\,\,{\rm{and}}\,\,k = 1\,\,:\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {2,4,7,12} \right)\,\,\,{\rm{not}}\,\,{\rm{GP}}\,\,\,\,{\rm{:}}\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{refute}}\,\,{\rm{also}}\,\,\left( {\rm{B}} \right),\left( {\rm{E}} \right)$$

$$\left( {{\rm{III}}} \right)\,\,{{b{k^3}} \over {a{k^4}}} = {{c{k^2}} \over {b{k^3}}} = {{dk} \over {c{k^2}}}\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,{b \over {ak}} = {c \over {bk}} = {d \over {ck}}\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,{b \over {ak}} = {c \over {bk}}\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{b \over a} = {c \over b}\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,{b \over c} = {a \over b}\,\,\,\,\,\, \hfill \cr
\,{c \over {bk}} = {d \over {ck}}\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{c \over b} = {d \over c}\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,{c \over d} = {b \over c}\, \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,a,b,c,d\,\,\,{\rm{GP}}\,\,\,:\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{refute}}\,\,\,\,\left( {\rm{A}} \right)$$

The correct answer is therefore (D).

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:10 am
swerve wrote:A geometric sequence is one in which the ratio of any term after the first to the preceding term is a constant. If the letters a, b, c, d represent a geometric sequence in normal alphabetical order, which of the following must also represent a geometric sequence for all values of k?

I. dk, ck, bk, ak

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. II and III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

The OA is D.

Recall that in a geometric sequence, the ratio of any term after the first to the preceding term is called the common ratio. We can let a, b, c and d be 1, 2, 4, and 8, respectively, (notice that the common ratio is 2) and k be 3. Now let's analyze each Roman numeral.

I. dk, ck, bk, ak

dk = 8(3) = 24, ck = 4(3) = 12, bk = 2(3) = 6 and ak = 1(3) = 3

The sequence is 24, 12, 6, 3. This is a geometric sequence with a common ratio of 1/2.

a+k = 1 + 3 = 4, b+2k = 2 + 2(3) = 8, c+3k = 4 + 3(3) = 13 and d+4k = 8 + 4(3) = 20

The sequence is 4, 8, 13, 28. However, this is NOT a geometric sequence because we don't have a nonzero constant as the common ratio.

ak^4 = 1(3)^4 = 81, bk^3 = 2(3)^3 = 54, ck^2 = 4(3)^2 = 36, dk = 8(3) = 24

The sequence is 81, 54, 36, 24. This is a geometric sequence with a common ratio of 2/3.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage