C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:Is (y−10)^2>(x+10)^2 ?

(1) −y>x+5

(2) x>y
Source: Veritas
VERY nice problem. Please note we will use two different rephrasings (one for each (1) and (2) alone, the other for (1+2)):
$${\left( {y - 10} \right)^2}\,\,\mathop > \limits^? \,\,{\left( {x + 10} \right)^2}\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,\left| {y - 10} \right|\,\,\,\mathop > \limits^? \,\,\,\left| {x + 10} \right|\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {\rm{I}} \right) \hfill \cr
\,\,\,{\rm{OR}} \hfill \cr
\,\left( {x + y} \right)\left( {y - x - 20} \right)\,\,\,\mathop > \limits^? \,\,\,0\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{II}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\left( * \right) \hfill \cr} \right.$$
$$\left( * \right)\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
{\left( {y - 10} \right)^2}\,\,\mathop > \limits^? \,\,{\left( {x + 10} \right)^2}\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\left( {y - 10} \right)^2} - \,{\left( {x + 10} \right)^2}\,\,\mathop > \limits^? \,\,\,0 \hfill \cr
\,{\left( {y - 10} \right)^2} - \,{\left( {x + 10} \right)^2} = \left[ {\left( {y - 10} \right) + \left( {x + 10} \right)} \right]\left[ {\left( {y - 10} \right) - \left( {x + 10} \right)} \right] = \left( {x + y} \right)\left( {y - x - 20} \right)\,\,\,\mathop > \limits^? \,\,\,0 \hfill \cr} \right.$$

$$\left( 1 \right)\,\,\,x + y < - 5\,\,\,\,\left( {\rm{I}} \right)\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( {0, - 6} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\, \hfill \cr
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( { - 16,10} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\, \hfill \cr} \right.$$

$$\left( 2 \right)\,\,x > y\,\,\,\,\left( {\rm{I}} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,\left( {{\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} } \right){\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( {0, - 6} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\, \hfill \cr
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,y} \right) = \left( {1,0} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\, \hfill \cr} \right.$$

$$\left( {1 + 2} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{II}}} \right)\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,x + y < 0\,\,\,{\rm{by}}\,\,\,\left( 1 \right) \hfill \cr
\,y - x - 20 = \left( {y - x} \right) - 20\mathop < \limits^{{\rm{by}}\,\,\left( 2 \right)} - 20\, < 0 \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {\rm{C}} \right)\,\,\,\,$$

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:Is (y−10)^2>(x+10)^2 ?

(1) −y>x+5

(2) x>y
x² < y² can be rephrased as follows:
|x| < |y|
Thus, the question stem can be rephrased as follows:
Is |x+10| < |y-10|?

|a-b| = the distance between a and b
|a+b| = |a-(-b)| = the distance between a and -b
Thus, the question stem can be further rephrased as follows:
Is the distance between x and -10 less than the distance between y and 10?

Statement 1, rephrased: x+y < -5
Case 1: y=-20 and x=-10
y= -20..........x=-10..........0..........10
In this case, the distance between x and -10 is less than the distance between y and 10, so the answer to the rephrased question stem is YES.

Case 2: x=-20 and y=10
x=-20..........-10..........0.........y=10
In this case, the distance between x and -10 is NOT less than the distance between y and 10, so the answer to the rephrased question stem is NO.

Since the answer is YES in Case 1 but NO in Case 2, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: y < x
Case 1 also satisfies Statement 2,
In Case 1, the answer to the rephrased question stem is YES.

Case 3: y=10 and x=20
-10..........0..........y=10..........x=20
In this case, the distance between x and -10 is NOT less than the distance between y and 10, so the answer to the rephrased question stem is NO.

Since the answer is YES in Case 1 but NO in Case 3, INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Adding together x+y < -5 and y < x, we get:
x+y+y < x-5
2y < -5
y < -2.5

Case 4: y=-3 and x=-2.5, with the result that x+y < -5 and y < x
-10........y=-3.......x=-2.5......0..........10
In this case, the distance between x and -10 is less than the distance between y and 10, so the answer to the rephrased question stem is YES.

Case 5: y=-10 and x=4, with the result that x+y < -5 and y < x
y=-10............0...........x=4............10

The cases above illustrate that -- when the two statements are combined -- the distance between x and -10 must be less than the distance between y and 10.
Thus, the answer to the rephrased question stem is YES.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3