00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

My current age is two more than thrice the age of one of my two sisters named Richa. After N years, I will be two more than thrice the age of my other sister named Namita. What is the minimum possible integral difference (in years) between the age of my two mentioned sisters? (N is a natural number)

options

source cl gmat homework book 800 level questions

kindly click the upvote button if my question tingled your grey cells

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members

by fskilnik@GMATH » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 am
vishwash wrote:My current age is two more than thrice the age of one of my two sisters named Richa. After N years, I will be two more than thrice the age of my other sister named Mamita. What is the minimum possible integral difference (in years) between the age of my two mentioned sisters? (N is a natural number)

(A) 10
(B) 6
(C) 4
(D) 2
(E) 5

source: cl gmat homework book 800 level questions
$$? = \left| {M - R} \right|\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}} \,\,{\rm{minimum}}$$
$$\left\{ \matrix{
A = 3R + 2 \hfill \cr
A + N = 3\left( {M + N} \right) + 2 \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( - \right)} \,\,\,\,\,\, - N = 3\left( {R - M} \right) - 3N\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,2N = 3\left( {R - M} \right)$$
$$2N = 3\left( {R - M} \right)\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,N\,\,{\rm{multiple}}\,\,{\rm{of}}\,\,3\,\,\,\,\left[ {\,\left( {R - M} \right)\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}} \,} \right]\,\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{N\,\, \ge \,1} \,\,\,\,\,\,N \ge 3 \hfill \cr
\,R - M\,\,{\rm{even}}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,? = 2\,\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{for}}\,\,N = 3} \right) \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {\rm{D}} \right)$$

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:01 am
vishwash wrote:My current age is two more than thrice the age of one of my two sisters named Richa. After N years, I will be two more than thrice the age of my other sister named Namita. What is the minimum possible integral difference (in years) between the age of my two mentioned sisters? (N is a natural number)

options

Let M = my current age, R = Richa's current age, and T = Namita's current age. Therefore, we have:

M = 2 + 3R

and

M + N = 2 + 3(T + N)

If we subtract the first equation from the second, we have:

N = 3(T + N) - 3R

N = 3T + 3N - 3R

3R - 3T = 2N

3(R - T) = 2N

Since N is a positive integer and 3 is not a multiple of 2, we see that R - T must be a multiple of 2. So the minimum value of R - T is 2.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage