Neither/Nor vs Not/Nor, Parallelism

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Neither/Nor vs Not/Nor, Parallelism

by crescendo85 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:04 am
Hello
I have come across Not/Nor combinations as well - do we know when to use which neither/nor and when to use not/nor?
I expect neither/nor is more widely accepted - so should i just eliminate not nor answer or should I see parallelism first, and then I should choose a better option.

Thnx

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 am
I would hesitate to eliminate an answer choice just because it involves the use of not followed by nor. While I doubt that you will see a correct answer choice that uses not/nor, it seems conceivable that one could be created.

So, as you basically said, I think that if you were to see some type of not/nor expression in an answer choice, probably you would be best off handling that answer choice in a way that is more sophisticated than merely eliminating it because you see not and then nor.

That having been said, I don't think the GMAT would consider not/nor a good substitute for neither/nor. So if one option were to include a simple neither/nor expression and another were to contains an expression identical to the first except in that it contains not in place of neither, then obviously on the GMAT the first would be preferred.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by danielle07 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:21 am
Neither/ Nor is primarily the same so you can use it both. Not /Nor can be used depending on the context of the sentence.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

answer

by harsh8686 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 am
I am like to add up for NOR.

Nor is a coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS) and hence the two sentence that nor is connecting should be in parallel. More about coordinating conjunction here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/09 ... ys-part-47

Example :

Wrong: Despite the increasing number of discoveries of fossils of feathered dinosaurs, many paleontologists believe that most dinosaurs did not have, nor likely to have, feathers on their bodies.

Correct: Despite the increasing number of discoveries of fossils of feathered dinosaurs, many paleontologists believe that most dinosaurs did not have, nor were they likely to have , feathers on their bodies.