Please evaluate me.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate me.

by ElleBee » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:34 pm
All,

Here's my profile. I realize the GMAT needs to go up (I just took it this month for the first time) and am studying to improve and retake. I was getting 700s+ on my Manhattan GMAT CATs so I feel confident I can improve. But, I would like to also be evaluated as if my GMAT stays like this, just in case, worst case scenario, I can't raise it.

*Age (at matriculation): 27

*Race: Asian-American

*Education: B.A. in a humanities major from a top ten national university in the U.S., graduation with distinction in major, 3.5 GPA cumulative/3.7 upper division GPA (junior and senior year courses)/3.9 in major; a few calculus and calculus-based physics courses in undergrad with satisfactory/better than fair grades

*GMAT: 640 (41 quant/38 verbal)

*Work Experience (at matriculation): 4 years working for a group of private investors, managing and running companies they have started, including building/launching one as the CEO

*College Activities: President of major student organization (elected by peers), vice-president of another major student organization (selected by group of advisors), etc. etc., selected by group of peers, professors, and administrators to receive an award as one of the top female leaders on campus (10 total awards given to any female students, professors, and administrators on campus)

*Post College Activities: Sit on board of local non-profit, volunteer weekly at an animal shelter, involved in local alumni association for undergrad, advisor to a well-known college organization, online mentor to an inner-city student (usually 2 per school year)

*Post MBA Goals: Do branding and marketing work for a luxury retail brand, eventually begin my own web-based luxury retail brand company

*Other relevant information: spent several years in the inactive and active U.S. naval reserves (less than 90 days in active reserves)

*Schools of interest: Fuqua, Kellogg, Columbia, McCombs, Kenan-Flagler (also taking suggestions!)

Thanks for your time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 pm
Dear ElleBee,

If you get your GMAT up to the 700 range, I think you will be a competitive applicant for any program. You have strong work experience, leadership in extras and a good GPA. If you do not get your score over the 670/680 mark, I still think it might be worth applying to those programs and adding a few others as safety options. Indiana (Kelley) and Minnesota (Carlson) have developed strong brand curriculums and are in the right geography for consumer goods companies.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ElleBee » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:16 am
Thank you for the great advice, Lisa! I've just really got to get my GMAT score up...