00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In the x-y coordinate plane, line k passes through the point (5, -4) and has a negative x-intercept. Which of the following COULD be the equation of line k?

i) y = -0.4x - 2
ii) y = 2 - 1.2x
iii) y = -0.7x - 1.5

A) i only
B) ii only
C) iii only
D) i & ii only
E) i & iii only

Answer: A
Difficulty level: 650 - 700
Source: www.gmatprepnow.com
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:In the x-y coordinate plane, line k passes through the point (5, -4) and has a negative x-intercept. Which of the following COULD be the equation of line k?

i) y = -0.4x - 2
ii) y = 2 - 1.2x
iii) y = -0.7x - 1.5

A) i only
B) ii only
C) iii only
D) i & ii only
E) i & iii only
Reminder (to my students) / Suggestion (to the general reader):

1. One property at a time, till the end. Then the other. ("Don´t let your brain dance!")

2. Start with the easier checking property (or the one you feel more comfortable).
Indifferent? Start with the first.
\[?\,\,\left( 1 \right)\,\,\,\,:\,\,\,\,\left( {5, - 4} \right)\,\,\mathop \in \limits^? \,\,\,{\text{line}}\,\,\]
\[\left( i \right)\,\,\, - 4\,\,\mathop = \limits^? \,\, - \frac{2}{5}\left( 5 \right) - 2\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\]
\[\left( {ii} \right)\,\,\, - 4\,\,\mathop = \limits^? \,\, - \frac{6}{5}\left( 5 \right) + 2\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\]
\[\left( {iii} \right)\,\,\, - 4\,\,\mathop = \limits^? \,\, - \frac{7}{{10}}\left( 5 \right) - \frac{3}{2}\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\text{Refute}}\,\,\left( C \right),\,\,\left( E \right)\]
\[?\,\,\left( 2 \right)\,\,\,\,:\,\,\,\,{\text{line}}\,\,x - {\text{intercept}}\,\,\,\mathop < \limits^? \,\,0\]
\[\left( i \right)\,\,0\, = \,\, - \frac{2}{5}\left( x \right) - 2\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^? \,\,\,x < \,\,0\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\text{Refute}}\,\,\left( B \right)\]
\[\left( {ii} \right)\,\,0\, = \,\, - \frac{6}{5}\left( x \right) + 2\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^? \,\,\,x < \,\,0\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\text{Refute}}\,\,\left( D \right)\]

The correct answer is (A).

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:In the x-y coordinate plane, line k passes through the point (5, -4) and has a negative x-intercept. Which of the following COULD be the equation of line k?

i) y = -0.4x - 2
ii) y = 2 - 1.2x
iii) y = -0.7x - 1.5

A) i only
B) ii only
C) iii only
D) i & ii only
E) i & iii only

Difficulty level: 650 - 700
Notice that, if the line passes through the origin, then the line has slope -4/5 (aka a slope of -0.8), but the line will not have a negative x-intercept
Notice that, if the line passes through the (0,4), then the line will have slope 0, BUT the line will not have a negative x-intercept. See below.

So, if the slope of the line is BETWEEN 0 and -0.8, then the line will have a negative x-intercept

Check the 3 statements:
i) y = -0.4x - 2
The slope = -0.4, which is BETWEEN 0 and -0.8. KEEP i for now

ii) y = 2 - 1.2x
Rewrite as: y = -1.2 + 2.
The slope = -1.2, which is NOT BETWEEN 0 and -0.8. So, ii cannot be true

iii) y = -0.7x - 1.5
The slope = -0.7, which is BETWEEN 0 and -0.8. KEEP iii for now

So far, i and iii COULD both be true.

However, in order for the point (5, -4) to be ON line k, its x and y coordinates must satisfy the equation of the line.
So, let's check i and iii

i) y = -0.4x - 2
Plug in x = 5 and y = -4 to get: -4 = -0.4(5) - 2 = -2 - 2 = -4
PERFECT!
So, i is true

iii) y = -0.7x - 1.5
Plug in x = 5 and y = -4 to get: -4 = -0.7(5) - 1.5 = -3.5 - 1.5 = -5
NO GOOD
So, iii is not true

Cheers,
Brent