00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Which of the following is/are perfect numbers if "Perfect Number" is defined as number for which sum of all it's factors is twice the number.
I) 6
II) 28
III) 36

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II only
D) I, II and III
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members
GMATinsight wrote:Which of the following is/are perfect numbers? A "perfect number" is defined as an integer such that the sum of all its POSITIVE factors is twice the integer itself.

I) 6
II) 28
III) 36

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II only
E) I, II and III
$$?\,\,\,:\,\,\,{\rm{perfect}}\,\,{\rm{number}}$$
$${\rm{6}} \to {\rm{1 + 6 + 2 + 3}}\,\,\mathop {\rm{ = }}\limits^? \,\,{\rm{2}} \cdot {\rm{6}}\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{refute}}\,\,\,\left( B \right)\,\,,\,\,\left( C \right)\,\,$$
$${\text{28}} \to {\text{1 + 28 + 2 + 14 + 4 + 7}}\,\,\mathop {\text{ = }}\limits^? \,\,2 \cdot 28\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{and}}} \right)\,\,\,{\text{refute }}\left( A \right)\,\,$$
$$36 \to 1 + 36 + 2 + 18 + 3 + 12 + 4 + 9 + 6\,\,\mathop {\text{ = }}\limits^? \,\,2 \cdot 36\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\boxed{\,\,{\text{?}}\,\,\,{\text{ = }}\,\,\,\left( D \right)\,\,}{\text{ }}$$

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:49 pm
GMATinsight wrote:Which of the following is/are perfect numbers if "Perfect Number" is defined as number for which sum of all it's factors is twice the number.
I) 6
II) 28
III) 36

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II only
D) I, II and III
The sum of the factors of 6 are 1 + 2 + 3 + 6 = 12, which is 2 x 6. So 6 is a perfect number.

The sum of the factors of 28 are 1 + 2 + 4 + 7 + 14 + 28 = 56, which is 2 x 28. So 28 is a perfect number.

The sum of the factors of 36 are 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 9 + 12 + 18 + 36 = 91, which is not 2 x 36. So 36 is not a perfect number.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage