00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In the xy-coordinate system, line k has slope 1/2 and passes through point (0, 5). Which of the following points cannot lie on line k?

A. (-10, 0)
B. (8, 9)
C. (3, 6.5)
D. (-2, 2)
E. (-8, 1)

OA D

Source: Magoosh

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 am
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:In the xy-coordinate system, line k has slope 1/2 and passes through point (0, 5). Which of the following points cannot lie on line k?

A. (-10, 0)
B. (8, 9)
C. (3, 6.5)
D. (-2, 2)
E. (-8, 1)
Let's first determine the equation of line k

A quick approach is the write the equation of line k in slope y-intercept form: y = mx + b, where m = slope and b = y-intercept.
We're told that the slope = 0.5 and the point (0,5) tells us that the y-intercept is 5
So, the equation of line k is: y = 0.5x + 5

Now that we know the equation of line k, a point will be ON the line if the coordinates (x, y) satisfy the equation.
So, let's take each answer choice and plug the x- and y-coordinates into the equation.

NOTE: this is one of those questions that require us to check/test each answer choice. In these situations, always check the answer choices from E to A, because the correct answer is typically closer to the bottom than to the top.
For more on this strategy, see my article: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/han ... -questions

E. (-8, 1)
Plug x = -8 and y = 1 into the equation (y = 0.5x + 5) to get: 1 = (0.5)(-8) + 5
This works!!!
So, (-8, 1) is ON the line.
ELIMINATE E

D. (-2, 2)
Plug x = -2 and y = 2 into the equation (y = 0.5x + 5) to get: 2 = (0.5)(-2) + 5
Doesn't work. So, (-2, 2) is NOT on the line.

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:In the xy-coordinate system, line k has slope 1/2 and passes through point (0, 5). Which of the following points cannot lie on line k?

A. (-10, 0)
B. (8, 9)
C. (3, 6.5)
D. (-2, 2)
E. (-8, 1)
\[{\text{line}}\,\,:\,\,\,y = \frac{1}{2}x + 5\]
\[\boxed{\,\,{\text{?}}\,\,\,{\text{:}}\,\,\,{\text{point}}\,\,\left( {a,b} \right)\,\, \notin \,\,{\text{line}}\,\,\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,?\,\,\,\,:\,\,\,\,b \ne \frac{a}{2} + 5\,\,\,\,}\]

\[\left( A \right)\,\,\,0\,\,\,\mathop \ne \limits^? \,\,\frac{{ - 10}}{2} + 5\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{NO}}} \right\rangle \]
\[\left( B \right)\,\,\,9\,\,\,\mathop \ne \limits^? \,\,\frac{8}{2} + 5\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{NO}}} \right\rangle \]
\[\left( C \right)\,\,\,6.5\,\,\,\mathop \ne \limits^? \,\,\frac{3}{2} + 5\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{NO}}} \right\rangle \]
\[\left( D \right)\,\,\,2\,\,\,\mathop \ne \limits^? \,\,\frac{{ - 2}}{2} + 5\,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\text{YES}}} \right\rangle \]

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
fskilnik.

P.S.: in this problem we don´t see any justifiable reason to start the choices evaluation from bottom to the top, with all respect to our colleague's different beliefs.
In short: we see no "scientific" (statistical, information available) arguments for the claim ("the correct answer is typically closer to the bottom than to the top").
(We read the link provided above and, with due respect, we believe the "statistical sample" mentioned there is not significant.)
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:23 pm
fskilnik wrote: P.S.: in this problem we don´t see any justifiable reason to start the choices evaluation from bottom to the top, with all respect to our colleague's different beliefs.
In short: we see no "scientific" (statistical, information available) arguments for the claim ("the correct answer is typically closer to the bottom than to the top").
(We read the link provided above and, with due respect, we believe the "statistical sample" mentioned there is not significant.)
While a sample size of 28 might not be a large enough to make prove/validate my recommendations, I can tell you that, from my experience, the correct answer to these kinds of questions is typically closer to E than to A.
That said, if it were the case that, with this question type, the correct answer is equally likely to be A, B, C, D or E, then it would make no difference whether one checked the answer choices from A to E or from E to A.
However, if it is, indeed, the case that D and E are more likely to be the answer, then it makes sense to try E and D first.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:33 members

by fskilnik@GMATH » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 pm
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
fskilnik wrote: P.S.: in this problem we don´t see any justifiable reason to start the choices evaluation from bottom to the top, with all respect to our colleague's different beliefs.
While a sample size of 28 might not be a large enough to make prove/validate my recommendations, I can tell you that, from my experience, the correct answer to these kinds of questions is typically closer to E than to A.
That said, if it were the case that, with this question type, the correct answer is equally likely to be A, B, C, D or E, then it would make no difference whether one checked the answer choices from A to E or from E to A.
However, if it is, indeed, the case that D and E are more likely to be the answer, then it makes sense to try E and D first.

Cheers,
Brent
Dear Brent,
I am here to contribute to this community and to have the opportunity to make my preparation known to international students, after more than 18 years teaching in Brazil.
I will tell the advice I give to my own students on this matter, just for our readers to have a "second opinion":
I BELIEVE the examiner chooses one of the FIRST alternative choices when each "choice-test" is time-consuming, because he/she does not want the student to spend a lot of time in the "testing process".
(As you mentioned in your article-related, it is more common/"natural" to test from A to E, therefore the examiner knows how long a student "would take" on average "per testing", if he/she goes this "natural way".)
When each "choice-testing" is quick (like here, it takes less than 5 seconds each), then I BELIEVE the examiner does not care in which alternative choice the right answer was put on.
That´s only my opinion.
Still my opinion: we are dealing with beliefs, not with facts.
I will not take this discussion further, and I respect your opinion and your experience.
Regards,
fskilnik.
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator ( Math for the GMAT)
English-speakers :: https://www.gmath.net
Portuguese-speakers :: https://www.gmath.com.br

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:50 pm

A. (-10, 0)
B. (8, 9)
C. (3, 6.5)
D. (-2, 2)
E. (-8, 1)

OA D

Source: Magoosh
The ordered pair (0,5) means that the y-intercept of line k is 5. Using the slope-intercept form of a line: y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept, we see that the equation for line k is y = (1/2)x + 5. Let's see which set of points cannot lie on line k.

A. (-10, 0)

0 = (1/2)(-10) + 5

0 = 0

(-10, 0) lies on line K.

B. (8, 9)

9 = (1/2)(8) + 5

9 = 9

(8, 9) lies on line k.

C. (3, 6.5)

6.5 = (1/2)(3) + 5

6.5 = 6.5

(3, 6.5) lies on line k.

D. (-2, 2)

2 = (1/2)(-2) + 5

2 ≠ 4

(-2, 2) is not on line k.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage