00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Six children - A, B, C, D, E, and F - are going to sit in six chairs in a row. Child E must be somewhere to the left of child F. How many possible configurations are there for the children?

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720

OA D

Source: Magoosh

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 pm
Hi All,

We're told that six children - A, B, C, D, E, and F - are going to sit in six chairs in a row, but Child E must be somewhere to the LEFT of Child F. We're asked for the number of possible configurations of the children. This question is a permutation question with a small twist - and can be solved with permutation math and a little logic.

To start, if all 6 children could sit anywhere, then there would be 6! = (6)(5)(4)(3)(2)(1) = 720 possible arrangements.

However, Child E must be to the LEFT of Child F. This 'twist' is not as complicated as it might first appear though. When considering all 720 possibilities, each child has an equal likelihood of sitting in any individual chair. By extension, HALF the time Child E will be to the left of Child F (or any other Child, for that matter). Thus, we have to remove the other half of the possibilities (in which Child E is to the right of Child F).... 720/2 = 360

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:09 am
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:Six children - A, B, C, D, E, and F - are going to sit in six chairs in a row. Child E must be somewhere to the left of child F. How many possible configurations are there for the children?

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720
Alternate approach:

Number of options for A = 6. (Any of the 6 chairs.)
Number of options for B = 5. (Any of the 5 remaining chairs.)
Number of options for C = 4. (Any of the 4 remaining chairs.)
Number of options for D = 3. (Any of the 3 remaining chairs.)
Number of options for E and F = 1. (E and F must occupy the two remaining chairs such that E sits to the left of F.)
To combine these options, we multiply:
6*5*4*3*1 = 360.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:11 am
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:21 pm
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:Six children - A, B, C, D, E, and F - are going to sit in six chairs in a row. Child E must be somewhere to the left of child F. How many possible configurations are there for the children?

A. 60
B. 180
C. 240
D. 360
E. 720
If there is no restriction, the number of seating arrangements is 6! = 720. Of these 720 arrangements, half of them will have E sitting to the left of F (and the other half will have E sitting to the right of F). Therefore, the number of possible seating arrangements with E is to the left of F is 360.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage