Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Source: Manhattan GMAT

The Farmer in the Deli sandwich shop sells two kinds of sandwich: tuna melts and veggie melts. Each customer buys exactly one sandwich. If there were 300 customers yesterday, what fraction of veggie melts sold yesterday were bought by female customers?

(1) 1/2 of all sandwiches sold yesterday were tuna melts, and 1/3 of all customers yesterday were male.

(2) Yesterday, twice as many tuna melts were bought by females as there were veggie melts bought by males.

The OA is C.
Last edited by AAPL on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

AAPL wrote:Source: GMAT Club Tests

There is at least one red ball and at least one blue ball in a box. How many blue balls are there?

(1) From any two balls from the box, at least one is a red ball.
(2) The total number of balls in the box is 99.

The OA is A.

At least one red ball and One blue ball means at least one ball of each type (but there can be more) from the Q. stem

Can we infer from Statement 1 that there are only 2 balls in the box.

There can be any no. of Balls in the box. But, At least one means surely there will be one but can be more of the same type.
If I say I have at least 100US $ doesn't that mean that surely I have US $100 but might have more but not less.

Is my understanding correct?? Can anyone help, please? Thanks!
Given "From any two balls from the box, at least one is a red ball," we can conclude that there is only one blue ball. If there were greater than 1 blue ball, say 2 blue balls, and we randomly pick two balls, there is a possibility that both the balls are blue. But this will invalidate Statement 1, which is not warranted. Thus, there is only one blue ball.

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: Manhattan Review Chennai | GMAT Prep Himayatnagar | GRE Prep Hyderabad | Bangalore GRE Coaching | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:55 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

AAPL wrote:Source: GMAT Club Tests

There is at least one red ball and at least one blue ball in a box. How many blue balls are there?

(1) From any two balls from the box, at least one is a red ball.
(2) The total number of balls in the box is 99.

The OA is A.

At least one red ball and One blue ball means at least one ball of each type (but there can be more) from the Q. stem

Can we infer from Statement 1 that there are only 2 balls in the box.

There can be any no. of Balls in the box. But, At least one means surely there will be one but can be more of the same type.
If I say I have at least 100US $ doesn't that mean that surely I have US $100 but might have more but not less.

Is my understanding correct?? Can anyone help, please? Thanks!
Statement 1 indirectly tells us that it's IMPOSSIBLE to select 2 blue balls.
So, the box must contain fewer than 2 blue balls.
Since we're told that the box contains AT LEAST 1 blue ball, we can be certain that there is EXACTLY 1 blue ball.

As far a red balls are concerned, all we know for sure is that there is at least 1 red ball. That said, there could also be 2 red balls, 3 red balls, 4 red balls, etc

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com