GMATPrep Practice Exam #1 - What Does my Percentile Mean?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I am following the 60 Day Beat the GMAT online course. Today I completed the Maths syllabus and retook the GMATPrep Test #1. My percentile in Maths has not improved as much as I anticipated (From 40 Percentile to 68 now). I am worried!

How bad is this improvement? Also, how do I go about pulling my Maths score up while preparing for English as per the online course?

Thank You :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:13 am
Mrrinali wrote:I am following the 60 Day Beat the GMAT online course. Today I completed the Maths syllabus and retook the GMATPrep Test #1. My percentile in Maths has not improved as much as I anticipated (From 40 Percentile to 68 now). I am worried!

How bad is this improvement? Also, how do I go about pulling my Maths score up while preparing for English as per the online course?

A 28-point percentile increase is no small matter.

Day 42 is the last day that you learn new content, and the remaining days are devoted to taking practice tests and working on weaknesses. So, you can work on further improving your quant score during that time.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Mrrinali » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:23 am
Thanks Brent@GMATPrepNow ! Could you also suggest me a strategy to prepare for Maths (whilst I cover the English as per the BTG Online Prep) to sharpen my learning and improve my score? Thanks :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:09 pm
Mrrinali wrote:I am following the 60 Day Beat the GMAT online course. Today I completed the Maths syllabus and retook the GMATPrep Test #1. My percentile in Maths has not improved as much as I anticipated (From 40 Percentile to 68 now). I am worried!

IGNORE PERCENTILES!! They do not accurately reflect anything about your ability, as they shift over time. You should be focused only on your subscore from 6-51. More information on that here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... mat-score/

According to mba.com, a score of 48 currently tracks to a 67th percentile. https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gm ... .aspx#tab4
That's only 3 points away from perfect! You can still work on math in the hopes of getting a 49 or 50, but I would recommend that you focus on verbal first, as you almost certainly have many more points to gain there.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

How to drive up your quant score.

by MartyMurray » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:07 pm
Mrrinali wrote:Could you also suggest me a strategy to prepare for Maths (whilst I cover the English as per the BTG Online Prep) to sharpen my learning and improve my score? Thanks :D
Hi Mrrinali.

To improve your GMAT quant skills, go through your practice test and and practice questions to determine what types of questions you are least comfortable with, which ones you don't get correct consistently, and which ones you take the longest to answer. Basically, you are seeking to determine which types of quant questions you don't want to see when you take the GMAT, as least as things stand.

Once you have found some types that fit the above description, focus on those types one at a time. For instance, if you find that you are not comfortable with overlapping sets questions, learn all about how to answer overlapping sets questions, and then answer overlapping sets questions until you go from not wanting to see them on the test to being excited to see them on the test. Then, go to the next category. You can be sure that, if you get better at answering questions of types that you are not comfortable with now, your quant score will increase, and your stress level will decrease.

By the way, the 68th percentile in quant is a decent score that is likely high enough to get you into any school. At the same time, since you retook a test that you had already taken once, your score may be slightly inflated if you saw questions that you had seen previously, even if you didn't completely remember those questions. If you don't mind spending the money, probably you should purchase one or both of the Exam Packs from mba.com. https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-cata ... CAT2680001 Each pack contains another two practice tests. If you do so, you will be using fresh practice tests, and scores on those tests will not be inflated.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by Mrrinali » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm
Thank you guys for the quick response! Very motivating and helpful. Will keep the pointers you have mentioned in mind.
@ceilidh.erickson @Marty Murray