Scored 400 in my GMAT practice exam. Studied for 10 days

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I started studying from June 15 onwards and gave my first practice exam today (June 26, 2018) and scored 400. I am planning to give GMAT in September, haven't filled the application though. Is it a good decision? or shall I devote one more month. I am aiming at 750.

I am facing major issues in Reading Comprehensions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:19 am
Hi svartika10,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so this initial score isn't too bad if you've only been studying for 10 days. Raising a 400 to a 750+ will be a challenging task - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this CAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by svartika10@ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 am
1) What study materials have you used so far? - Manhattan Quant, no verbal yet
Quants - 20/31
Verbal - 14/31 (major gap in CR and reading comprehensions)

3) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I am planning in September

4) What Schools are you planning to apply to? ISB, NUS, Yale but priority is GMAT

[email protected] wrote:Hi svartika10,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so this initial score isn't too bad if you've only been studying for 10 days. Raising a 400 to a 750+ will be a challenging task - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 am
Hi svartika10,

You've named some highly-competitive Schools, so a strong GMAT Score AND a strong OVERALL profile will be a must. I'll be happy to answer any GMAT questions that you might have; for Admissions Advice, you would likely find it useful to discuss your profile and plans with an Admissions Expert. There's a forum full of those Experts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba- ... t-f40.html

1) Do you currently have any other practice materials besides the books you mentioned?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 am
HI svartika10,

We haven't heard from you in about a month. Are you still studying for your GMAT? Do you need further advice?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage