Is the United States Singular or plural?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is the United States Singular or plural?

by vs985 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I came across a Question where I had to make a decision where whether I could use "has" or "have" with "United States". I was under the impression that the US is singular and used "has".... While the correct answer shows the use of "have". What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Here, I marked 'B', due to the lack of a better option...Despite it having a parallelism error.

In his 1796 Farewell Address, George Washington strongly suggested the United States having as little political connection with foreign nations as possible and should avoid permanent alliances beyond existing engagements.

• A. the United States having as little political connection with foreign nations as possible and should avoid permanent alliances beyond existing engagements
    B. the United States has as little political connection with foreign nations as possible and to avoid permanent alliances beyond existing engagements
    C. that the United States should have as little political connection with foreign nations as possible and avoid permanent alliances beyond existing engagements
    D. that the United States has as little political connection with foreign nations as possible and should avoid permanent alliances beyond existing engagements
    E. that the United States have as little political connection with foreign nations as possible and avoid permanent alliances beyond existing engagements

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:30 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

vs985 wrote:I came across a Question where I had to make a decision where whether I could use "has" or "have" with "United States". I was under the impression that the US is singular and used "has".... While the correct answer shows the use of "have". What am I missing here?
United States is singular.
The OA employs the COMMAND SUBJUNCTIVE.
The structure of the command subjunctive is BOSSY WORD + THAT + NOUN + BARE INFINITIVE.
A bossy word serves to express a command or recommendation: requires, suggests, recommends, insists, etc.
The bare infinitive is the infinitive form of a verb with the to omitted.
Example: The bill MANDATES that a bank DISCLOSE its assets.
Here, mandates is a bossy word, while disclose is the bare infinitive form of TO disclose.

OA: George Washington SUGGESTED that the United States HAVE as little political connection with foreign nations as possible.
Here, suggested is a bossy word, while have is the bare infinitive form of TO have.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Is it an Official SC ? What is the source ?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by treetree » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I've always thought all Countries were singular, irrespective of their spelling

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:45 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

treetree wrote:I've always thought all Countries were singular, irrespective of their spelling
Correct.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3