Bob and Alice can finish a job together in 3 hours.

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Bob and Alice can finish a job together in 3 hours. If Bob can do the job by himself in 5 hours, what percent of the job does Alice do?

A. 10
B. 20
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60

The OA is C.

Can I say, 3 hours = Job/ (B + A) and 5hours = Job/B ? Then, I'm not sure <i class="em em-disappointed"></i>

Please, can anyone explain this PS question? I need help. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:59 pm
Hi swerve,

We're told that Bob and Alice can finish a job together in 3 hours and that Bob can do the job by himself in 5 hours. We're asked for the percent of the job that Alice does. This is an example of a "Work Formula" question - when you have two entities working together on a task, you can use the following formula to determine how long it will take the two entities to complete the task:

(A)(B)/(A+B) = time to complete the task (where A and B are the two times it takes the individuals to complete the task when working alone).

Since Bob can complete the job in 5 hours, we'll set B equal to 5 and solve for A (re: Alice's time)...

(A)(5)/(A+5) = 3
5A = 3A + 15
2A = 15
A = 7.5 hours to complete the job

Thus, each hour...
Bob does 1/5 of the job
Alice does 1/7.5 = 2/15 of the job

The entire job took 3 hours, so Alice completed (3)(2/15) = 6/15 = 2/5 = 40% of the job.

Final Answer: C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:10 pm
swerve wrote:Bob and Alice can finish a job together in 3 hours. If Bob can do the job by himself in 5 hours, what percent of the job does Alice do?

A. 10
B. 20
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60
Let the job = the LCM of the two times = 15 units.
Since Bob and Alice together take 3 hours to produce the job, their combined rate = w/t = 15/3 = 5 units per hour.
Since Bob on his own takes 5 hours to produce the job, Bob's rate = w/t = 15/5 = 3 units per hour.
Since Bob and Alice together produce 5 units per hour, and Bob on his own produces 3 units per hour, Alice's rate = 5 - 3 = 2 units per hour.
Resulting percentage for Alice = (Alice's hourly work)/(hourly work for Bob and Alice together) = 2/5 = 40%.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:32 am
swerve wrote:Bob and Alice can finish a job together in 3 hours. If Bob can do the job by himself in 5 hours, what percent of the job does Alice do?

A. 10
B. 20
C. 40
D. 50
E. 60
Since Bob and Alice can complete a job in 3 hours, the combined rate of Bob and Alice = 1/3. Since Bob can do the job by himself in 5 hours, his rate is 1/5.

Thus, the rate of Alice is 1/3 - 1/5 = 5/15 - 3/15 = 2/15.

Since Alice has worked for 3 hours, her work is 3 x 2/15 = 2/5. Furthermore, since we consider the complete job the number 1, the percentage of the job done by Alice is:

(2/5)/1 = 2/5 = 40%

Answer: C

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews