A marzipan factory has two machines producing marzipan.

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A marzipan factory has two machines producing marzipan. Every day, the two machines operate constantly from 08:00 to 18:00, and produce together N kg of marzipan. What percent of the total amount of marzipan produced by machines W and D together was produced by machine W?

1) Working alone, it takes machine W twenty-five hours to produce (N/2) kg of marzipan.
2) Machine W alone produces (N/2) kg of marzipan in double the time it takes machine D alone to produce N kg of marzipan.

The OA is D.

(2) Machine W alone produces (N/2) kg of marzipan in double the time it takes machine D alone to produce N kg of marzipan.

How is option B sufficient? it doesn't state anything about the time for either machine W or machine D; it only compares the work of two machines.

I feel the answer should be A. Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorLU wrote:A marzipan factory has two machines producing marzipan. Every day, the two machines operate constantly from 08:00 to 18:00, and produce together N kg of marzipan. What percent of the total amount of marzipan produced by machines W and D together was produced by machine W?

1) Working alone, it takes machine W twenty-five hours to produce (N/2) kg of marzipan.
2) Machine W alone produces (N/2) kg of marzipan in double the time it takes machine D alone to produce N kg of marzipan.

The OA is D.

(2) Machine W alone produces (N/2) kg of marzipan in double the time it takes machine D alone to produce N kg of marzipan.

How is option B sufficient? it doesn't state anything about the time for either machine W or machine D; it only compares the work of two machines.

I feel the answer should be A. Thanks!
Statement 2 is sufficient since the ratio of the rates of machine W and D can be known. With this information, the ratio of their output can be known.

Say machine D takes x hours to produce N kg of marzipan; thus, machine W would take (2x)*2 = 4x hours to produce N kg of marzipan.

The ratio of time taken -- W : D :: 1 : 4. Thus, we can calculate the percent of the total amount of marzipan produced by machines W and D together was produced by machine W. Sufficient.

The correct answer: D

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: Manhattan Review India | Manhattan Review Hyderabad | Begumpet GMAT Courses | Madhapur GRE Prep | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:51 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorLU wrote:2) Machine W alone produces (N/2) kg of marzipan in double the time it takes machine D alone to produce N kg of marzipan.

Let N = 4 kg and D's time for N kg = 1 hour.
Thus, D's rate = (4 kg)/(1 hour) = 4 kg per hour.

Since W produces N/2 kg (2 kg) in twice D's time for N kg (2 hours), W's rate = (2 kg)/(2 hours) = 1 kg per hour.

Combined rate for D+W = 4+1 = 5 kg per hour.
Of every 5 kg produced each hour when D and W work together, D will produce 4 kg and W will produce 1 kg.
Thus:
(W's hourly work)/(total hourly work) = 1/5 = 20%.
SUFFICIENT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3