Critical Reasoning - Doubting the Validity

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Critical Reasoning - Doubting the Validity

by janxavier » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:12 am
Can some plz tell me why B is the answer for this ?

A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those on their way to tenure don't enhance student learning as much as full-time lecturers outside the tenure system. Clearly, the difference between professors in the tenure system and other full-time lecturers has to do with the reward system for the former. The criterion for rewarding tenured faculty typically places a greater emphasis on research than teaching.

The above argument is based on doubts on the validity of which of the following statements?

A. A tenured professor is expected to spend greater time on research activities than on teaching.

B. Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments.

C. The universities are bound by the law to continue with their existing reward systems.

D. Generally, a tenured professor is much more experienced than a non-tenured full time lecturer.

E. No non-tenured professor focuses more on the research activities than teaching in order to become tenured.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:48 am
janxavier wrote: A recently published paper concludes that tenured professors or those on their way to tenure don't enhance student learning as much as full-time lecturers outside the tenure system. Clearly, the difference between professors in the tenure system and other full-time lecturers has to do with the reward system for the former. The criterion for rewarding tenured faculty typically places a greater emphasis on research than teaching.

The above argument is based on doubts on the validity of which of the following statements?

A. A tenured professor is expected to spend greater time on research activities than on teaching.

B. Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments.

C. The universities are bound by the law to continue with their existing reward systems.

D. Generally, a tenured professor is much more experienced than a non-tenured full time lecturer.

E. No non-tenured professor focuses more on the research activities than teaching in order to become tenured.
Premise: Tenured professors don't enhance student learning as much as full-time lecturers outside the tenure system.
Conclusion: Non-tenured professors are better with students because the criterion for rewarding tenured faculty typically places a greater emphasis on research than teaching.

To justify the conclusion, the passage assumes that one of the five answer choices is UNTRUE.
B: Non-tenured full time lecturers are rewarded more for the research that they do than for their teaching assignments.
If this answer choice is true, then both types of professors -- tenured and non-tenured -- are rewarded more for their research than for their teaching assignments, invalidating the conclusion that non-tenured professors are better with students because the criterion for rewarding tenured faculty typically places a greater emphasis on research than teaching.
Since B invalidates the conclusion, the passage assumes that answer choice B is UNTRUE.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by phanikpk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:28 pm
In order to doubt the validity of the argument we have to select the statement which can directly counter argue the argument.
Of options, B states that non-tenure full time lecturers are rewarded more than research which is usually going against the argument stated in the passage above where the argument states tenured faculty typically places a greater emphasis on research.
Option A,C,D are OFS
Option E is an strengthener

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

TTT

by sahilsnpt » Sat May 12, 2018 11:41 pm
Is this a Weaken Question. Because Choice B acts as a weakener than an assumption? I am having a very hard time understanding this question!!
Any help would be appreciated!<i class="em em-stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye"></i>

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:47 am
Hi,
Is it an official CR ? Can anyone please share the source ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:47 pm
@GMATGuruNY - do you've any feed about the Source of this CR ? And how do we categorize such CR ?