00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

James started from his home and drove eastwards at a constant speed. Exactly 90 minutes after James stated from his home, his brother Patrick started from the same point and drove in the same direction as James did at a different constant speed. Patrick overtook James exactly 90 minutes after Patrick started his journey and then continued driving at the same speed for another 2 hours. By what percentage should Patrick reduce his speed so that James could catch up with Patrick in exactly 8 hours after Patrick overtook James?

A. 25%
B. 33%
C. 50%
D. 67%
E. 75%

The OA is D.

Is there a strategic approach to solve this PS question? Can anyone help? Thank you!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

answer

by Vincen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 am
Hello AAPL.

This is a tricky question. I will show you how I solved it.

James started from his home and drove eastwards at a constant speed. Exactly 90 minutes after James stated from his home, his brother Patrick started from the same point and drove in the same direction as James did at a different constant speed

Hence we have the following diagram:

Home -------------- Distance after 90 minutes --------------- Distance after 180 minutes
James-------------- D_J1 = V_J*90 ----------------------------- D_J2=V_J*180
Patrick ------------ D_P=V_P*90

Now, since Patrick overtook James exactly 90 minutes after Patrick started his journey, we have that D_J2 = D_P, that is to say $$D_{J1}=D_P\ \ \Leftrightarrow\ \ V_J\cdot180=V_P\cdot90\ \ \Rightarrow\ \ V_P=2V_J.$$ To simplify the process, let's suppose that the velocity of James is 50 mts/min and therefore the velocity of Patrick is 100mts/min.

We also know that then Patrick continued driving at the same speed for another 2 hours. After two hours their covered distances are

Overtook--------- Distance after 2 hours = 120 minutes
Patrick ------------ 100*120 = 12000 m
James-------------- 50*120 = 6000 m

At this moment the distance between Patrick and James is 6000 meters. Now, we arrive to the question: By what percentage should Patrick reduce his speed so that James could catch up with Patrick in exactly 8 hours after Patrick overtook James?

From this 8 hours, the first two hours have passed already. So, we have to calculate the new velocity of Patrick in order that after 6 hours they have covered the same distance, that is to say:

Overtook-------- Distance after 2 hours = 120 minutes ----------- Distance after 8 hours = 120min + 360 min
James------------ 50*120 = 6000 m ---------------------------------- 6000m + 50*360 = 24000
Patrick ---------- 100*120 = 12000 m ------------------------------ 12000m + V_P*360 = 24000

This implies that the new velocity of Patrick is $$12000+V_P\cdot360=24000\ \Rightarrow\ \ V_P=33.33333\ \frac{mts}{\min}$$ Since the initial velocity of Patrick was 100 mts/min and his new velocity is 33.333 mts/min, this implies that he reduces its velocity by 100-33.333 = 66.66667 ~ 67%.

Therefore, the correct answer is the option D.

I hope it can help you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:17 pm
AAPL wrote:James started from his home and drove eastwards at a constant speed. Exactly 90 minutes after James stated from his home, his brother Patrick started from the same point and drove in the same direction as James did at a different constant speed. Patrick overtook James exactly 90 minutes after Patrick started his journey and then continued driving at the same speed for another 2 hours. By what percentage should Patrick reduce his speed so that James could catch up with Patrick in exactly 8 hours after Patrick overtook James?

A. 25%
B. 33%
C. 50%
D. 67%
E. 75%
We can let James' speed be 60 mph. Thus, when James drove 180 minutes (or 3 hours), Patrick drove only 90 minutes. So James drove 60 x 3 = 180 miles. Although Patrick only drove 90 minutes (or 1.5 hours), he drove the same distance as James (since he overtook James exactly in 90 minutes), so Patrick drove at a speed of 180/1.5 = 120 mph. He continued at this speed for another 2 hours, which means he drove another 2 x 120 = 240 miles. He will drive another 6 hours, however, at a different speed, so that James could catch up with him exactly 8 hours after overtaking James. We can let this new speed be x. So the total distance Patrick travels is 180 + 240 + 6x = 420 + 6x.

Now let's look at the distance James traveled. Recall that he had to catch up with Patrick exactly 8 hours after Patrick overtook him. When Patrick overtook him, each had driven 180 miles. Since James' speed was 60 mph (and he continued to drive at that speed), then, in another 8 hours, he will have driven 60 x 8 = 480 miles. Thus the total distance James will have traveled is 180 + 480 = 660.

Now we can equate the distances traveled by the two brothers as follows:

420 + 6x = 660

6x = 240

x = 40

Since Patrick's original speed was 120 mph and his new speed is 40 mph, he must have reduced his original speed by 2/3, or 67%.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

James and Patrick

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:20 am
AAPL wrote:James started from his home and drove eastwards at a constant speed. Exactly 90 minutes after James stated from his home, his brother Patrick started from the same point and drove in the same direction as James did at a different constant speed. Patrick overtook James exactly 90 minutes after Patrick started his journey and then continued driving at the same speed for another 2 hours. By what percentage should Patrick reduce his speed so that James could catch up with Patrick in exactly 8 hours after Patrick overtook James?

A. 25%
B. 33%
C. 50%
D. 67%
E. 75%
Let James' rate = 3 mph.

James started from his home and drove eastwards at a constant speed. Exactly 90 minutes after James stated from his home, his brother Patrick started from the same point and drove in the same direction as James did at a different constant speed. Patrick overtook James exactly 90 minutes after Patrick started his journey.
When James is overtaken by Patrick, James has traveled for a total of 3 hours, implying the following distance:
rt = 3*3 = 9 miles.
Patrick leaves 90 minutes after James and thus overtakes James by traveling these 9 miles in only 1.5 hours, implying the following rate for Patrick:
d/t = 9/(1.5) = 90/15 = 6 mph.

Patrick then continued driving at the same speed for another 2 hours.
When people COMPETE, we SUBTRACT THEIR RATES.
Difference between Patrick's rate and James' rate = 6-3 = 3 mph.
Implication:
Every hour after overtaking James, Patrick travels 3 miles ahead of James.
Thus:
Over the next 2 hours, Patrick travels a total of 6 miles head of James.

By what percentage should Patrick reduce his speed so that James could catch up with Patrick in exactly 8 hours after Patrick overtook James?
Since 2 hours have passed since Patrick overtook James, James must catch up to Patrick in the next 6 hours.
Implication:
For James to catch up by 6 miles over the next 6 hours, he must catch up by 1 mile every hour.
Thus:
Over the next 6 hours, James' rate must be ONE MPH GREATER than Patrick's rate, so that James catches up by 1 mile every hour.
Since James' rate = 3 mph, Patrick's rate must decrease from 6 mph to 2 mph.
Percent decrease from 6 to 2 = Difference/Larger * 100 = (6-2)/6 * 100 = 66.66%.

The correct answer is D.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:40 am

A. 25%
B. 33%
C. 50%
D. 67%
E. 75%
Alternate approach:

Let James' rate = 3 mph.

James started from his home and drove eastwards at a constant speed. Exactly 90 minutes after James stated from his home, his brother Patrick started from the same point and drove in the same direction as James did at a different constant speed. Patrick overtook James exactly 90 minutes after Patrick started his journey.
When James is overtaken by Patrick, James has traveled for a total of 3 hours, implying the following distance:
rt = 3*3 = 9 miles.
Patrick leaves 90 minutes after James and thus overtakes James by traveling these 9 miles in only 1.5 hours, implying the following rate for Patrick:
d/t = 9/(1.5) = 90/15 = 6 mph.

...so that James could catch up with Patrick in exactly 8 hours after Patrick overtook James.
Since James must catch up after traveling for 8 hours at 3 mph, the following distance is implied:
rt = 3*8 = 24 miles.

Patrick then continued driving at the same speed for another 2 hours.
After overtaking James, Patrick travels for 2 hours at 6 mph, implying the following distance:
rt = 6*2 = 12 miles.

By what percentage should Patrick reduce his speed?
Since Patrick has traveled 12 miles in 2 hours -- and James travels a total of 24 miles in the final 8 hours of his journey -- Patrick msut travel 12 more miles over the next 6 hours, implying the following rate:
d/t = 12/6 = 2 mph.
Since Patrick's rate decreases from 6 mph to 2 mph, we get.
Percent decrease = Difference/Larger * 100 = (6-2)/6 * 100 = 66.66%.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3