Creating your MBA application CV

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Location: Decade + of MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe.
Followed by:6 members

Creating your MBA application CV

by MBAPrepCoach » Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm
Over the next four weeks, I will be posting tips for each section of the MBA application: CV, recommendations, essays, application boxes. Stay tuned!

This week, let's start with your CV - which you can complete right now, before essay topics are released. Now let's get down to it. If I can brag a bit - MBA Career Services love my résumés.

"Don't you dare change a single word!" were the words spoken to my client who started at Stanford GSB last fall. It went into the resume book as-is.

Most of his colleagues started almost from scratch.

THE MANTRA: SUCCINCT, YET COMPLETE

"¢ Every single word has a purpose (pare it down - hence the image!)
"¢ It uses universal language instead of industry jargon, to the extent possible.
"¢ One page only, but maximize space horizontally.
"¢ Give context: provide a one-line company description if needed.
"¢ Give context: provide a job scope statement under your role.
"¢ Each bullet is an accomplishment that states a result and an action.
"¢ Results: ideally, making money, saving money or saving time.
"¢ Anyone from any industry would be able to step into your resume, and comprehend the value of what you have done.
"¢ There is space to breathe on the page. It has white space, and the reader feels good when they look at it. It looks inviting.
"¢ It includes "fun facts" about you and demonstrates community leadership.

Next week - let's delve into the letters of recommendation.

Getting MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe. 80% admitted to top 5; 99% top 10. Curious about partnering ? Book a consult at https://calendly.com/mbaprepcoach

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Location: Decade + of MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe.
Followed by:6 members

Handling MBA Recommendations

by MBAPrepCoach » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Hello! Some of you might be busy working on R3 applications for INSEAD and others, gearing up for round 1. Either way, the time to act is now! Implement, implement, implement.

Even if certain recommendation forms are not out yet, now is the time to start reflecting on the questions common to all forms: areas of strength as compared to your peers, and a story about receiving constructive criticism.

Figure out the stories you want to share and outline them; then add other anecdotes/outlines later for any remaining questions. It is very unusual for schools to make major changes in this area of the application, aside from the fact that more and more schools are gravitating towards the Common Letter of Recommendation. https://www.gmac.com/reach-and-recruit- ... n-lor.aspx

If you are seeking a coach to guide you on the journey, the first step is to fill out my prospective client form. https://mbaessaycoaching.com/contact-me/

SELECTION TIPS

1) You want a recommender who has witnessed you demonstrate the attributes business schools care about: teamwork, leadership and problem solving, among others. This is far more important than their status at the company.

2) Speak with a few select people you have in mind regarding your plans to attend business school and gauge their reaction. If they elicit enthusiasm, keep the conversation going. If you decide someone is right for the job - make sure to ask them about work travel and vacation plans. It's best to be in close contact around the application due date.

3) Do not work with recommenders who are unwilling to work openly. You have invested a lot of time and money into this process and need to stay in control of the content. I've seen disasterious results from this.

4.) Business schools pressure you for that manager recommendation, but it is not required and I have worked with clients who got into elite MBA programs with scholarships - and never shared their MBA plans with their managers.

EXECUTION TIPS: SHOW, DON'T TELL

1.) Each question narrates a SPECIFIC incident or moment in time.

2.) Stories are narrated in STAR format or, if that doesn't fit, at least have a beginning, middle and end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situation ... on,_result

3.) These stories show how you MODEL teamwork, leadership, problem-solving, innovation, persuasion, strategic thinking; things b-schools care about.

4.) Each recommender really champions you; they see the uniqueness of you - and articulate that artfully in whatever language they speak (you can translate.)

5.) The reader is moved by the content and wants to champion you to other members of the adcom.

For more tips like these, follow me on social media. I post daily.
Getting MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe. 80% admitted to top 5; 99% top 10. Curious about partnering ? Book a consult at https://calendly.com/mbaprepcoach