00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Released the first Friday of every month and covering the preceding month, the Labor Department's employment report discloses the amount of new jobs to be created during the reporting period and the amount of hours to be worked.

(A) discloses the amount of new jobs to be created during the reporting period and the amount of hours to be worked
(B) discloses the amount of new jobs being created during the reporting period and the amount of hours worked
(C) discloses the number of new jobs created during the reporting period and the number of hours worked
(D) disclosed the number of new jobs that are created during the reporting period and the number of hours being worked
(E) disclosed the number of new jobs that have been created during the reporting period and the number of hours worked

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:08 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

BTGmoderatorDC wrote:Released the first Friday of every month and covering the preceding month, the Labor Department's employment report discloses the amount of new jobs to be created during the reporting period and the amount of hours to be worked.

(A) discloses the amount of new jobs to be created during the reporting period and the amount of hours to be worked
(B) discloses the amount of new jobs being created during the reporting period and the amount of hours worked
(C) discloses the number of new jobs created during the reporting period and the number of hours worked
(D) disclosed the number of new jobs that are created during the reporting period and the number of hours being worked
(E) disclosed the number of new jobs that have been created during the reporting period and the number of hours worked
A and B: amount of new jobs
Here, amount cannot serve to refer to a countable noun such as jobs.
Eliminate A and B.

D: the...report disclosed the number of new jobs that are created
E: the...report disclosed the number of new jobs that have been created
Here, it is not possible that the report disclosed -- IN THE PAST -- actions happening IN THE PRESENT (are created and have been created).
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by deloitte247 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:44 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Option A:Wrong
This is an official way of reporting to the people who cares to listen a report of developments in the labour department. Nevertheless, the construction is such that it doesn't differ from the original statement of the writer which does not strengthen the writer's position.

Option B:Wrong
This option shows a continuous sense of the whole sentence with the use of the verb ''being'' meanwhile, the resulting active word there i.e. ''worked'' is in its past tense which shows action done in the past. No agreement between the words used here.

Option C:Right
This statement is a very simple one without any ambiguity. It is straight and concise. The tenses here are in agreement with one another. The nexus between created and worked is great.

Option D: Wrong
The use of the past tense of disclose is its greatness undoing. The statement is envisaging what's likely or due to happen in future. Though the words used here agrees with the choice of tenses involved. However, it has only succeeded in changing the timing of the event.

Option E: Wrong
Also, this option follows that of the preceding statement. This is an improper envisage of the subject statement in the article specifications.