Where is the Loser section?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Where is the Loser section?

by KitKat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:17 am
I have been reading all the blogs and everyone is upset because they scored a 600. Well, let me put you back into reality. I studied for a month and took the Kaplan class. I was scoring 450 on my pratice tests and when I took the test on 3/17, I scored a 300. I scored LOWER then my diagnoistic test. :oops: I have no clue what went wrong. My husband took the test with me and he himself scored lower then his diagnoistic test. I am still in shock. Sorry to be bitter, but at this point I wish I scored anything over 500, I would of been happy.
At this point, we are getting our money back from Kaplan and I am getting a tutor. I think I will take in two months.
This is where my weakness is, I am dyslexic. Any advice on how to study? Any success stories from people with learning diablities? I have had a counselor tell me that I would not be able to get into graduate school because of my diablity, so I am very determined to get in a MBA program!
Sorry for an spelling errors. This is a casual environment for me.
:cry:
KitKat

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Where is the Loser section?

by beatthegmat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:01 am
KitKat wrote:I have been reading all the blogs and everyone is upset because they scored a 600. Well, let me put you back into reality. I studied for a month and took the Kaplan class. I was scoring 450 on my pratice tests and when I took the test on 3/17, I scored a 300. I scored LOWER then my diagnoistic test. :oops: I have no clue what went wrong. My husband took the test with me and he himself scored lower then his diagnoistic test. I am still in shock. Sorry to be bitter, but at this point I wish I scored anything over 500, I would of been happy.
At this point, we are getting our money back from Kaplan and I am getting a tutor. I think I will take in two months.
This is where my weakness is, I am dyslexic. Any advice on how to study? Any success stories from people with learning diablities? I have had a counselor tell me that I would not be able to get into graduate school because of my diablity, so I am very determined to get in a MBA program!
Sorry for an spelling errors. This is a casual environment for me.
:cry:
Hi KitKat:

First of all--I want to make it clear that you aren't a Loser at all (to use your subject line's verbiage). Your performance on the GMAT is by no means an indicator of your intelligence or skills--it's just a test. What impresses me most about you is that you went ahead and took the test despite a signficant learning disability and advice from your "counselor" to give up on your dreams for grad school. Quite frankly--you've got some GUTS!

I think that you've taken the right steps to get private tutoring. I don't think most large GMAT classes cater their content to folks with learning disabilities, so 1:1 attention should really help you.

It's certainly possible for you to do well on the GMAT. You are going to have to overcome a lot of challenges (more than most of us face), but it seems like you are a driven individual who's willing to work hard for your goal.

Don't let one test come between you and your goals.

Best of luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress here on the Forum--welcome to the community!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by KitKat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:31 am
Thank you for the encouragement.
This is my week to wallow and then I will have a fresh new attitude next week.
KitKat

by palman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:27 pm
I remember seeing somewhere that the GMAT folks have special procedures for those with certain disabilities (more time, paper test, different computer screen, etc). You should look into it.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:16 pm
palman wrote:I remember seeing somewhere that the GMAT folks have special procedures for those with certain disabilities (more time, paper test, different computer screen, etc). You should look into it.

INTERESTING!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Thanks

by itobean » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:21 am
I hate to see that someone else is in the same boat as I. But we can get through this together!! I'm afraid also that my "consultant" is going to tell me to give up my dream of grad school. I can do this, we can do this!! We need to remember that even though this test is important, it is not the end all!!

Re: Thanks

by Eve » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:45 pm
itobean wrote:I hate to see that someone else is in the same boat as I. But we can get through this together!! I'm afraid also that my "consultant" is going to tell me to give up my dream of grad school. I can do this, we can do this!! We need to remember that even though this test is important, it is not the end all!!
If someone... anyone... is going to tell you to give up, obviously, he/she is not someone you should work with. Pursue your dream - if grad school is something you really REALLY want to do then sacrifice some time, learn the basic concepts, practice, practice, practice and re-take the test. Low score is not a good reason to give up.

I took Kaplan's diagnostic test last week and got a magnificent 410. Am I disappointed? Of course... Am I upset? Not at all... It only showed me where I stand and in a way motivated me to hit the books. I want to get a good score, I want to go to grad school, and I want to get an MBA... do NOT give up. I'm in the same boat as you... and I will not give up.

Thanks

by itobean » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:09 am
I'm so glad that we are not alone in this!! Thank you for your awesome words of encouragement. Sometimes when I read over things on this site or ClearAdmit I think that I'm the only person here who is getting such a low score and who isn't necessarily pursuing the top 10 business schools. I am looking at 2 of them but they aren't my first picks. I guess that's what makes us all unique. I just hope my consultant "gets" that when we meet!!

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

I fumbled a few times on the GMAT, too.

by GCHall840 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 pm
Hi Itobean,
I think that this forum is an excellent place to share stories about the preparation process and the GMAT, itself.
Honestly, I took the GMAT quite a long time ago. I got a 390 the first time and 410 the second time. After the first test, I actually enrolled in a Kaplan prep course, but I got lost in all of their material. On top of that, the Kaplan staff was not very helpful. Their local center here was so cramped that it was impossible to use their resources, too. So, that was a big waste of money and my time as well.
Here I am trying to do this all over again. I really do like the Manhattan GMAT virtual online course because I think that their materials are much better than any other test prep ones. And, the instructors seem very interested in helping their students when they need it. So far, I am doing quite well with their strategy guides and what I am learning from them.
I don't want to get intimidated by a lot of the comments that I read from all of the people who have a goal to score more than 700. If I got a 500 or a 550 on the GMAT, I would be thrilled.
Greg

by itobean » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:46 pm
I know what you mean! I'm hoping to get into some decent schools but with my score....not too sure. I'm actually right now waiting for a headache to go away so that I can take another practice test after 2 weeks of studying. I'm hoping my score goes up....but what if it doesn't????? This is so stressful! :|

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:44 pm
itobean wrote:I know what you mean! I'm hoping to get into some decent schools but with my score....not too sure. I'm actually right now waiting for a headache to go away so that I can take another practice test after 2 weeks of studying. I'm hoping my score goes up....but what if it doesn't????? This is so stressful! :|
hey itobean why dont u discuss ur study strategy and also ur problem area on the forum .. may be the more experienced members will be able to guide u on ur strategy .. and give tips for ur problem areas...

by itobean » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:11 am
I'll do that! I need help in a serious way!

I took the test and my score only went up 30 points overall. My verbal did go up quite a bit though. But still not high enough.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

count me in

by cooldude » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:53 am
hi guys,i m a new member of ur looser section

and guess wat's the irony my lowest gmatprep score was 710 but real gmat turned pathetic :cry:

but never mind jesus want me to go 'looser' way then so be it
:twisted:

by itobean » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 pm
I don't understand? How could you go from 700s to the Loser Club???? Was it test anxiety the day of the test?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: count me in

by aim-wsc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:13 pm
cooldude wrote:hi guys,i m a new member of ur looser section

and guess wat's the irony my lowest gmatprep score was 710 but real gmat turned pathetic :cry:

but never mind jesus want me to go 'looser' way then so be it
:twisted:

hey cooldude,
when did this happen?

Could you start special tread and share your experience with us?