A bag has 4 blue, 3 yellow and 2 green balls. The balls

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:5 members
A bag has 4 blue, 3 yellow and 2 green balls. The balls of the same color are identical. In how many ways can a child picks ball(s) out of the bag? He could even decide to pick ZERO balls.

A. 60
B. 1260
C. 24
D. 120
E. 9

The OA is the option A.

I am confused here. How can I solve this PS question? Is not 9! / 4!*3!*2! ??? Help!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:18 am
M7MBA wrote:A bag has 4 blue, 3 yellow and 2 green balls. The balls of the same color are identical. In how many ways can a child picks ball(s) out of the bag? He could even decide to pick ZERO balls.

A. 60
B. 1260
C. 24
D. 120
E. 9
Number of options for the 4 blue balls = 5. (0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 blue balls may be chosen, for a total of 5 options.)
Number of options for the 3 yellow balls = 4. (0, 1, 2, or 3 yellow balls may be chosen, for a total of 4 options.)
Number of options for the 2 green balls = 3. (0, 1, or 2 green balls may be chosen, for a total of 3 options.)
To combine the options for each color, we multiply:
5*4*3 = 60.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:46 am
M7MBA wrote:A bag has 4 blue, 3 yellow and 2 green balls. The balls of the same color are identical. In how many ways can a child picks ball(s) out of the bag? He could even decide to pick ZERO balls.

A. 60
B. 1260
C. 24
D. 120
E. 9

The OA is the option A.

I am confused here. How can I solve this PS question? Is not 9! / 4!*3!*2! ??? Help!!!
The truth is that the wording of the question is not clear. From the way the question is worded, one might decide that the order matters, but it doesn't really.

We are looking only for how many different combinations of colored balls can be picked out.

How can you tell that order does not matter? Well, the question indicates that the child may not pick all of the balls. So, even if order were to matter, there would be an additional factor, the number of balls picked out of the bag.

The answer that would involve BOTH different orders and different numbers of balls is not available, while the answer that involves only different numbers of balls is available. So, you have to go with the latter.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.