Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include a

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include all NUT members who are on the leadership salary spine. This year's NUT membership credential gave members the opportunity to identify themselves as teachers on the leadership spine and Headway will, in future, be mailed directly to all members so identified.

From the text above, which of the following can we reasonably conclude?

a) Headway is a free newspaper.
b) Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine.
c) Teachers can only be present on the leadership spine thanks to the NUT.
d) The readership for Headway will increase in future years.
e) Teachers cannot get access to Headway unless it is mailed to them.
OA is b

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Akrita@Jamboree » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:18 am
BTGmoderatorRO wrote:Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include all NUT members who are on the leadership salary spine. This year's NUT membership credential gave members the opportunity to identify themselves as teachers on the leadership spine and Headway will, in future, be mailed directly to all members so identified.

b) Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine.
OA is b
This is an Inference question type. Such questions are pretty mathematical - probably the most "Maths-y" question type on the Verbal section of the GMAT. Therefore, if you love Math, you would love solving GMAT inference questions! One of the main ideas in an Inference question is that the GMAT is simply looking for an answer that is (more or less) a paraphrasing of the information given in the passage - i.e., something that MUST BE TRUE, or something that can be stated with a very high degree of certainty, according to the information given in the passage. Therefore, any option that incorporates additional information NOT given in the passage should be eliminated. Also, we don't want to select a very strong statement as an inference.

A. Headway is a free newspaper - This is not given anywhere in the passage. Eliminate

B. Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine - CORRECT. This can be reliably inferred from the first sentence "Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include all NUT members who are on the leadership salary spine". This means that these NUT members must not have been a part of the Headway readership earlier.

C. Teachers can only be present on the leadership spine thanks to the NUT - This is too strong, and nor is there any causal relationship between NUT and teachers being present on the leadership spine mentioned in the passage. Eliminate

D. The readership for Headway will increase in future years - We know that membership credential gave members the opportunity to identify themselves as teachers on the leadership spine; whether anyone will take up the opportunity and actually come forward to identify themselves as teachers is uncertain. For example, it could be the case that no one takes up the offer of NUT's membership credential and the overall readership remains the same over the next few years. Similarly, existing members of Headway may also drop out, resulting in even a possible decline in Headway's readership. Since there are a few unknowns in this option, we cannot conclude this with absolute certainty Eliminate

E. Teachers cannot get access to Headway unless it is mailed to them - Too strong and not given. Eliminate

Hence, B is the correct answer.

Please let me know in case anything doesn't make sense.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:09 pm
BTGmoderatorRO wrote:Headway is now targeted at a wider readership - to include all NUT members who are on the leadership salary spine. This year's NUT membership credential gave members the opportunity to identify themselves as teachers on the leadership spine and Headway will, in future, be mailed directly to all members so identified.

The OA is invalid.

Passage:
Headway is now targeted at a wider readership -- to include all NUT members who are on the leadership salary spine.
Implication:
Before now, Headway did not include ALL NUT MEMBERS on the leadership salary spine.
Since we know only that Headway did not include ALL NUT MEMBERS on the leadership salary spine, it is possible that Headway included SOME NUT MEMBERS on the leadership salary spine.
OA: Formerly, the readership of Headway did not include members on the leadership salary spine.
Since Headway might have included SOME NUT MEMBERS on the leadership salary spine, the OA cannot be inferred.

Ignore this CR.
What is the source?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3