Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation (Non IT)

by ask1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 am
Hello there!

Request you to kindly evaluate my chances from the below profile:

Indian Male 25.

School - Class X - 88%
School - Class XII - 95.6%
(Achievements - School Leader, School Topper, Editor for a student newspaper for a year, Quizmaster at a few quizzes)
University - Mechanical Engg - 9.56/10 CGPA
(Achievements - Dept Topper, President of Automotive Club, Presented a Research Paper in final semester, Class Representative, Mess Representative)

Work Experience: At the Indian division of a top glass manufacturing organization in the world (2 yrs, 11 months)

Graduate Engineer Trainee (6 mos)

Marketing Executive - Interiors Division (1 yr)
(Organized Product Launches, Photoshoots across the country among top interior designers, contractors and architects, managed collaterals, printables and merchandize for the Sales team, handled social media campaigns)

Key Account Manager - Bangalore Region (1.5 yrs)
(117% of Sales Target Achived, Handled 100+ accounts involving designers, architects, contractors. Conducted 70+ events individually across various firms as engagement activities and designed a few of my own in the process, adjudged Best Manager for 2016 in the country)

Currently a freelance DJ (Hip Hop, House and Commercial genres) and a freelance Content Writer (last 1 yr)
Also performed (Western Vocals and Beatboxing) across multiple pubs and stages during Karaoke and Live events .
Other passions include blogging (5 years) and table tennis

Scored 640 in a mock GMAT test from GMATPrep software w/o preparation last week
Target score 750+ for July attempt.

Schools in mind: Wharton, Yale SOM, Tepper, HEC Paris, Rotman, NUS and ISB.
Post MBA Goals: Consulting at MBB, OW post which Id like to set up a consulting boutique with expertise on various disciplines of business

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Regards.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

Profile Evaluation (Non IT)

by GeneralEducation » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:22 am
Hello there,

Thanks for sharing your profile in depth. You carry an excellent profile, considering your academic scores, I am sure that you will be able to score 740+ in your GMAT and if you can achieve your targetted score then its nothing like anything, you will be one of those ideal candidates any b-school would be looking for.

While assessing your application, top b-schools look for candidates who have demonstrated leadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don't necessarily mean leading teams - they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation, and career progression.

If you want to have a detailed free profile evaluation by the top B-schools Alumni like Wharton, HEC Paris, ISB, please feel free to reach us out at +91 9980044412

You can also evaluate your profile by using our ingenious tool called B-School Selector. The b-school selector is an intelligent B-Schools shortlisting tool designed by the team of expert consultants graduated from Ivy League B-Schools. This tool provides the list of B-Schools where you have fair chances of getting an admission based on certain parameters like GMAT Score, Work Experience, International Work Experience and Academic Scores. Please click on the below-mentioned link to use the tool.
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:00 am
You've got a great profile here! Top business schools will love your awesome GPA and all that undergraduate leadership. Looks like you are in managerial roles at work as well, but I didn't see a clear presentation of direct reports or sizes of project teams, so I can't weigh in on that with any particular accuracy at this point.

Now, what else do you need to be competitive for the highest ranking schools on your list? First, GMAT. You're right that 740 is about what top MBA programs will expect from you given your profile. No doubt you can achieve that.

From there, however, I would want to see more international exposure. You mention that you work for the Indian branch of an international firm, so it would be great for you to take advantage of that: see if you can travel for business to other countries, make a clear list for yourself of all the interactions you conduct with internationally-based colleagues, etc. Also, you can help your case a lot if you can get to the schools on your list while classes are still in session, do to some in-person campus visits. It's not an absolute necessity but it will add some differentiation for you, since so many of your India-based competition might lack that exposure.

Community service is another area I'm not seeing a lot about in your profile. Hip-hop DJing and so on will add less value to your candidacy than consistent, preferably leadership-focused, community service involvements, ideally with a large or well-known organization.

What I've presented above is the "best case scenario" : all the things I'd hope to see you work on between now and the fall application deadlines. I realize that not everyone can do everything on a list like this, but I take a maximalist approach. The more of these issues you take on, the stronger your application will be.

Good luck!
Margare Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

TTT

by ask1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:53 am
Margaret Strother wrote:You've got a great profile here! Top business schools will love your awesome GPA and all that undergraduate leadership. Looks like you are in managerial roles at work as well, but I didn't see a clear presentation of direct reports or sizes of project teams, so I can't weigh in on that with any particular accuracy at this point.

Now, what else do you need to be competitive for the highest ranking schools on your list? First, GMAT. You're right that 740 is about what top MBA programs will expect from you given your profile. No doubt you can achieve that.

From there, however, I would want to see more international exposure. You mention that you work for the Indian branch of an international firm, so it would be great for you to take advantage of that: see if you can travel for business to other countries, make a clear list for yourself of all the interactions you conduct with internationally-based colleagues, etc. Also, you can help your case a lot if you can get to the schools on your list while classes are still in session, do to some in-person campus visits. It's not an absolute necessity but it will add some differentiation for you, since so many of your India-based competition might lack that exposure.

Community service is another area I'm not seeing a lot about in your profile. Hip-hop DJing and so on will add less value to your candidacy than consistent, preferably leadership-focused, community service involvements, ideally with a large or well-known organization.

What I've presented above is the "best case scenario" : all the things I'd hope to see you work on between now and the fall application deadlines. I realize that not everyone can do everything on a list like this, but I take a maximalist approach. The more of these issues you take on, the stronger your application will be.

Good luck!
Margare Strother
Hello Margaret!

Extremely grateful for the honest feedback in terms of how much more I could stretch my efforts in terms of improving my candidacy. Not everything on that list would be possible for me, but I would try and get into the finer details of what has motivated me to reach here and how my experience would help me moving forward! Thank you very much for your inputs!

TTT

by ask1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:58 am
GeneralEducation wrote:Hello there,

Thanks for sharing your profile in depth. You carry an excellent profile, considering your academic scores, I am sure that you will be able to score 740+ in your GMAT and if you can achieve your targetted score then its nothing like anything, you will be one of those ideal candidates any b-school would be looking for.

While assessing your application, top b-schools look for candidates who have demonstrated leadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don't necessarily mean leading teams - they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation, and career progression.

If you want to have a detailed free profile evaluation by the top B-schools Alumni like Wharton, HEC Paris, ISB, please feel free to reach us out at +91 9980044412

You can also evaluate your profile by using our ingenious tool called B-School Selector. The b-school selector is an intelligent B-Schools shortlisting tool designed by the team of expert consultants graduated from Ivy League B-Schools. This tool provides the list of B-Schools where you have fair chances of getting an admission based on certain parameters like GMAT Score, Work Experience, International Work Experience and Academic Scores. Please click on the below-mentioned link to use the tool.
https://www.genedmba.com/b-school-selec ... Ra9sPptBnq
Hello there!

Very much appreciate your insight reg. my profile. I will make it a point to check out the tools whose links you have provided here! Cheers :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by ExpertsGlobal » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:03 am
arsankar1 wrote:Hello there!

Request you to kindly evaluate my chances from the below profile:

Indian Male 25.

School - Class X - 88%
School - Class XII - 95.6%
(Achievements - School Leader, School Topper, Editor for a student newspaper for a year, Quizmaster at a few quizzes)
University - Mechanical Engg - 9.56/10 CGPA
(Achievements - Dept Topper, President of Automotive Club, Presented a Research Paper in final semester, Class Representative, Mess Representative)

Work Experience: At the Indian division of a top glass manufacturing organization in the world (2 yrs, 11 months)

Graduate Engineer Trainee (6 mos)

Marketing Executive - Interiors Division (1 yr)
(Organized Product Launches, Photoshoots across the country among top interior designers, contractors and architects, managed collaterals, printables and merchandize for the Sales team, handled social media campaigns)

Key Account Manager - Bangalore Region (1.5 yrs)
(117% of Sales Target Achived, Handled 100+ accounts involving designers, architects, contractors. Conducted 70+ events individually across various firms as engagement activities and designed a few of my own in the process, adjudged Best Manager for 2016 in the country)

Currently a freelance DJ (Hip Hop, House and Commercial genres) and a freelance Content Writer (last 1 yr)
Also performed (Western Vocals and Beatboxing) across multiple pubs and stages during Karaoke and Live events .
Other passions include blogging (5 years) and table tennis

Scored 640 in a mock GMAT test from GMATPrep software w/o preparation last week
Target score 750+ for July attempt.

Schools in mind: Wharton, Yale SOM, Tepper, HEC Paris, Rotman, NUS and ISB.
Post MBA Goals: Consulting at MBB, OW post which Id like to set up a consulting boutique with expertise on various disciplines of business

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Regards.
Hello @arsankar1,

Thanks for sharing all the details.

First things first - your fantastic GPA at both school and college will definitely stand out and help you retain an edge :) To add to this, your leadership experiences at college, coupled with your participation in various extra-curricular activities will also help portray your all-around persona and will definitely fetch you a few extra points.

Having said the above, you should definitely look at achieving the score you are targetting, particularly since we are looking at top-notch programs :) We are quite confident you will be able to do so :) The GMAT will be one of the most critical factors in the entire process and while a lot is working with you otherwise, this too shall hold a lot of importance.

Now, coming to what else you could do at this point. Consider the following:
- Getting some social sector experience; however, instead of merely volunteering experience, try taking up a leadership role.
- Taking on the membership of some professional club (eg: Toastmasters) in your vicinity.
- Keep performing in your current role as this will give you a number of talking points to inlcude in your essays.

Should you need to discuss this in greater detail, do reach out to us.

All the best! :)

Ttt

by ask1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:46 am
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
Hello @arsankar1,

Thanks for sharing all the details.

First things first - your fantastic GPA at both school and college will definitely stand out and help you retain an edge :) To add to this, your leadership experiences at college, coupled with your participation in various extra-curricular activities will also help portray your all-around persona and will definitely fetch you a few extra points.

Having said the above, you should definitely look at achieving the score you are targetting, particularly since we are looking at top-notch programs :) We are quite confident you will be able to do so :) The GMAT will be one of the most critical factors in the entire process and while a lot is working with you otherwise, this too shall hold a lot of importance.

Now, coming to what else you could do at this point. Consider the following:
- Getting some social sector experience; however, instead of merely volunteering experience, try taking up a leadership role.
- Taking on the membership of some professional club (eg: Toastmasters) in your vicinity.
- Keep performing in your current role as this will give you a number of talking points to inlcude in your essays.

Should you need to discuss this in greater detail, do reach out to us.

All the best! :)
Thank you very much for your time and inputs! Will set out to work on whatever is possible in the coming months!