By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were slowly stretched out in an otherwise silent chamber, and then digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not continuous but consisted of individual bursts or pops just thousandths of a second long.

(A) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not
(B) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(C) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be
(D) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(E) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be
OA is b

Can anyone help me with the choice of the answer here? what is wrong with option D?
Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 pm
First, we want to address issues of parallelism and sentence structure. In A, B, and C, we have

"By recording ... and then digitizing and analyzing ..., a team of scientists ..."

"recording", "digitizing", and "analyzing" are all things that the team did, and they are all parallel. However, in D and E, we have

"By recording ... and then the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed ... a team of scientists ..."

Now the second part of our modifier isn't parallel with the first. So we can rule out D and E.

A and C we can rule out for a different instance of parallelism - when we see "not ... but", we know we are comparing two things, and the things we compare must be parallel.

A. "... a team of scientists found the noise NOT continuous BUT consisted of individual bursts or pops ..."

B. "... a team of scientists found that the noise was NOT continuous BUT consisted of individual bursts or pops ..."

C. "... a team of scientists found the noise NOT to be BUT consisted of individual bursts or pops ..."

Only B mirrors the past tense "consistent" with the past tense "was".

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:04 am
BTGmoderatorRO wrote:By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were slowly stretched out in an otherwise silent chamber, and then digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not continuous but consisted of individual bursts or pops just thousandths of a second long.

(A) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not
(B) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(C) digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be
(D) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found that the noise was not
(E) the sound emissions were digitized and analyzed on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not to be
OA is b

Can anyone help me with the choice of the answer here? what is wrong with option D?
Thank you
A, C and E: By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were slowly stretched out in an otherwise silent chamber, a team of scientists found the noise.
The phrase in red distorts the intended meaning.
When the crinkled wrappers were STRETCHED OUT, the noise was not found; it was CREATED.
Eliminate A, C and E.

D: By recording the noise...and then the sound emissions were digitized
Here, the blue portion is a MODIFIER, while the red portion is a CLAUSE.
The result is a lack of parallelism.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Akrita@Jamboree » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:42 am
BTGmoderatorRO wrote:By recording the noise of crinkled wrappers as they were slowly stretched out in an otherwise silent chamber, and then digitizing and analyzing the sound emissions on computers, a team of scientists found the noise not continuous but consisted of individual bursts or pops just thousandths of a second long.

OA is b

Thank you
I am happy to help. This is a question testing Parallelism. Here, we want to put two sets in parallel - "By recording....and digitizing and analyzing" AND "not...but consisted.."

Since, after but, we have a verb - 'consisted' - we need a verb ( was..') after not. This leaves us with B and D. In D, 'were digitized and analyzed' is not parallel to 'recording'. This leaves us with B.