Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests in many of the world's important agricultural areas. Worldwide production of soybeans, an important source of protein for people and livestock alike, was not adversely affected, however. Indeed, last year's soybean crop was actually slightly larger than average. Nevertheless, the weather phenomenon is probably responsible for a recent increase in the world price of soybeans.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the attribution of the increase in soybean prices to the weather phenomenon?
(A) Last year's harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of the weather phenomenon.
(B) Most countries that produce soybeans for export had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soybeans last year.
(C) The world price of soybeans also rose several years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of similar global weather disturbance.
(D) Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenon improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed.
(E) Prior to last year, soybean prices had been falling for several years.

OA is A
Please, I am having headache and totally confused on how to solve this particular question. I am not sure if either option C or D is the correct answer. Can any expert help break this tough question for me? Thank you so much for your concern

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 am
Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests in many of the world's important agricultural areas. Worldwide production of soybeans, an important source of protein for people and livestock alike, was not adversely affected, however. Indeed, last year's soybean crop was actually slightly larger than average. Nevertheless, the weather phenomenon is probably responsible for a recent increase in the world price of soybeans.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the attribution of the increase in soybean prices to the weather phenomenon?

(A) Last year's harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of the weather phenomenon.
(B) Most countries that produce soybeans for export had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soybeans last year.
(C) The world price of soybeans also rose several years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of similar global weather disturbance.
(D) Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenon improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed.
(E) Prior to last year, soybean prices had been falling for several years.
Premise: Despite a disruption of weather patterns, the soybean crop increased.
Conclusion: The disruption of weather patterns is responsible for an increase in the price of soybeans.

The correct answer choice must explain how the disruption of weather patterns has led to an increase in the price of soybeans, despite an increase in the soybean crop.
Answer choice A does just what we need:
Last year's harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of weather phenomenon.
Implication:
A weather-related lack of anchovies has driven up the price of soybeans, which -- according to the prompt -- is an important source of protein for livestock.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3