OG13 117 CR Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into an

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus' fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing their large planes with Skybuses?

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
(D) None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:03 pm
OA: E

I had no issues to get the correct answer, but still I am unable to find the profound reasoning to completely eliminate the Option D.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:42 am
richachampion wrote:I am unable to find the profound reasoning to completely eliminate the Option D.
D: None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
This information could constitute an ADVANTAGE for Northern Air, since Northern Air will be the only airline using Skybuses, whose fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.
Since the correct answer choice must provide a clear DISADVANTAGE, eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:15 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
D: None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
This information could constitute an ADVANTAGE for Northern Air, since Northern Air will be the only airline using Skybuses, whose fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.
Mr. Hunt, Aren't we assuming something to come to the conclusion that this is an advantage. Based on this line of reasoning where we are free to assume we can also conclude on the basis of the assumption that since None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses the total congestion and traffic on the airport will not decrease. So this is an disadvantage.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:32 am
richachampion wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mr. Hunt, Aren't we assuming something to come to the conclusion that this is an advantage. Based on this line of reasoning where we are free to assume we can also conclude on the basis of the assumption that since None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses the total congestion and traffic on the airport will not decrease. So this is an disadvantage.
My post above does not conclude that D is an advantage.
Rather, it states that D could constitute an advantage, since the usage of Skybuses might enable Northern Air to turn around its planes faster than its competitors can turn around their planes.
An answer choice that COULD constitute an advantage is incorrect.
The disadvantage presented by the answer choice must be crystal clear.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:46 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: My post above does not conclude that D is an advantage.
Rather, it states that D could constitute an advantage, since the usage of Skybuses might enable Northern Air to turn around its planes faster than its competitors can turn around their planes.
An answer choice that COULD constitute an advantage is incorrect.
The disadvantage presented by the answer choice must be crystal clear.
Eliminate D.
I didn't write anything above to offend you sir, but I just wanted to make sure that I am moving in the right direction and I have the correct understanding.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:54 am
richachampion wrote:I didn't write anything above to offend you sir, but I just wanted to make sure that I am moving in the right direction and I have the correct understanding.
No worries -- no offense was taken.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:55 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
No worries -- no offense was taken.
Thanks!
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Alchemist14 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:51 am
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the great explanation.

Here is how I did the question,

Goal: Economy and Quick Turnaround time
Action: By switching to sky busses.
We already have info about economy but we dont have information on turnaround time.

Will switching to skybus lead to quick turnaround time and economy? Y or N?

E clearly says No. But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Could you please tell how you eliminated B.

Thanks in advance.
Al

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:57 am
Alchemist14 wrote:But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Thanks in advance.
Al
Cheap fuel is GOOD for an airline because it lowers costs.
The correct answer choice must express a DISADVANTAGE -- something that will be BAD for Northern Air.
Eliminate B.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Question on B

by jabhatta » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Alchemist14 wrote:But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style

Thanks in advance.
Al
The correct answer choice must express a DISADVANTAGE -- something that will be BAD for Northern Air.
Eliminate B.
Hi Mitch - I have a question on B

Per my understanding, the argument is the following

Skybus offers us fuel effeciency hence we, the company should switch to Skybus (given our company's priorities are economy and turn-around)

B to me sounded like the following - Well fuel prices are coming down for all planes

Now,

With that in mind ...my thought went like "Well if fuel prices are coming down anyways, whats the point of fuel effeciency ? Fuel prices are coming down anyway ... Hence this answer is giving me a reason from the perspective of the company, NOT TO SWITCH to the skybus (As fuel prices are coming down anyways) "

Hence i selected B

Please assist where am i going wrong here :(

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 am
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Al
Eliminate B.

Skybus offers us fuel effeciency hence we, the company should switch to Skybus (given our company's priorities are economy and turn-around)

B to me sounded like the following - Well fuel prices are coming down for all planes

Now,

With that in mind ...my thought went like "Well if fuel prices are coming down anyways, whats the point of fuel effeciency ? Fuel prices are coming down anyway ... Hence this answer is giving me a reason from the perspective of the company, NOT TO SWITCH to the skybus (As fuel prices are coming down anyways) "

Hence i selected B

It is stated as a PREMISE that the Skybus' fuel efficiency results in LOWER FUEL COSTS.
A premise is a FACT.
It cannot be disputed or weakened.
Thus, the price of fuel is irrelevant.
Whatever the price of fuel, the Skybus' fuel efficiency will still result in LOWER fuel costs, since this information is given as a premise.
To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show a disadvantage that is unrelated to fuel costs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Query on E

by jabhatta » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:40 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Al
Eliminate B.

Now,

Hence i selected B

It is stated as a PREMISE that the Skybus' fuel efficiency results in LOWER FUEL COSTS.
A premise is a FACT.
Whatever the price of fuel, the Skybus' fuel efficiency will still result in LOWER fuel costs, since this information is given as a premise.
To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show a disadvantage that is unrelated to fuel costs.

Thanks Mitch. ..seems like i "conflated" two different issues ....fuel costs and fuel efficiency ..I see why B is wrong now

Quick query on E

E is talking about causing problems to "Other planes"

I actually thought given this answer choice affects other planes [not necessarily my planes] ...it was a neutral statement for Northern Airlines and not necessarily a disadvantage to my company (Northern Airlines)

Furthermore the premise did mention " Northern Air depends for its success on economy and Quick Turnaround"

I thought that to mean, features important for my company only (not necessarily other companies)

People are suggesting that delays to other planes will eventually cause delays to Northern Air planes indirectly, but that doesn't necessarily have to be true ...

Please let me know your thoughts on this

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:54 am
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Al
Eliminate B.

Now,

Hence i selected B

A premise is a FACT.

Thanks Mitch. ..seems like i "conflated" two different issues ....fuel costs and fuel efficiency ..I see why B is wrong now

Quick query on E

E is talking about causing problems to "Other planes"

I actually thought given this answer choice affects other planes [not necessarily my planes] ...it was a neutral statement for Northern Airlines and not necessarily a disadvantage to my company (Northern Airlines)

Furthermore the premise did mention " Northern Air depends for its success on economy and Quick Turnaround"

I thought that to mean, features important for my company only (not necessarily other companies)

People are suggesting that delays to other planes will eventually cause delays to Northern Air planes indirectly, but that doesn't necessarily have to be true ...

Please let me know your thoughts on this
Like a road, a runway must be SHARED.
Common sense tells us Skybuses at Belleville Airport will have to share the airport's runways with OTHER PLANES -- especially given that the airport is highly congested.
Whether these other planes are owned by Northern Air or by other airlines is irrelevant.
According to the OA, the use of Skybuses will lead to runway delays, making it impossible for Northern Airline to turn its planes around quickly -- a serious disadvantage to the company's plan.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3