Comparison SC

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Comparison SC

by gmattoend » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 am
Approximately 75 million people visit France every year, more than any other country.

A. more than

B. more than visit

C. more than those of

D. which is more than

E. which is more visitors than

[spoiler]answer: B[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Dear Sirs,
According to the correct answer: the subject is '75 million people' because ellipsis rule demands to take the subject with its modifiers. but it is nonsensical meaning.
Any help to understand? [/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

people visit

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:39 am
gmattoend wrote:Approximately 75 million people visit France every year, more than any other country.

A. more than

B. more than visit

C. more than those of

D. which is more than

E. which is more visitors than

[spoiler]Dear Sirs,
According to the correct answer: the subject is '75 million people' because ellipsis rule demands to take the subject with its modifiers. but it is nonsensical meaning.
Any help to understand? [/spoiler]
A: Approximately 75 million people visit France every year, more than any other country.
Here, the red portion seems to convey that 75 million people are more than any other country or that France is more than any other country.
Neither meaning makes sense.
Eliminate A.

C: Approximately 75 million people visit France every year, more than those of any other country.
Here, the red portion seems to compare VISITORS (the 75 million people who VISIT France) to RESIDENTS (people OF any other country) -- an illogical comparison.
Eliminate C.

D and E: every year, which is more than any other country
Here, which seems to refer to every year, implying that EVERY YEAR is more than any other country.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is B.

The OA conveys the following meaning:
Approximately 75 million people visit France every year, more [people] than [people] visit any other country.
This meaning is logical.

A similar OA from GMAC:
Companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, as many as are enrolled in the nations four-year colleges and universities.
Implied comparison:
Companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, as many [people] as [people] are enrolled in the nations four-year colleges and universities.
Ellipsis rule demands to take the subject with its modifiers.
This rule applies when one independent clause is compared to another independent clause, as in the following sentence:
The company's car prices are higher in Country X than in Country Y.
Here, the implied subject in the blue portion is the company's car prices (the preceding subject, along with the attached modifiers):
The company's car prices are higher in Country X than [the company's car prices are high] in Country Y.

The green portions in the OAs above are not clauses but MODIFIERS, so this rule does not apply.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by deloitte247 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:40 am
Option E is correct because the phrase "which is more visitors..." correctly compares the subject of the sentence (visitors to France) with visitors to other countries.

Option A is wrong because the answer is vague about what exactly is being compared
Option B is wrong because the clause has no subject
Option C is also wrong because the absence of a subject makes the concluding clause incomplete
Option D is wrong because it does not connect properly with the main subject of the whole sentence