Profile/What GMAT would I need?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile/What GMAT would I need?

by CuriousDreamer101 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 pm
I still need to take the GMAT, but I was hoping to get some advice on how high it would need to be to have a good shot for HBS or SBS with my profile - any input is appreciated :)

Background: First generation American/college student, URM - Male, military veteran, interested in an MBA to pursue impact investing in the short-term and public-sector management in the long term.
Undegrad: Top public university in the U.S.
Major: B.Sc. Business and B.A. Social Work
GPA: 3.7
Leadership: Non-Commisioned Officer - managed and trained about 8 people, leadership position in a couple of clubs in school
Work Experience: 4 years active duty military before undergrad , internships in finance while in undergrad at BB bank and smaller boutiques (mainly to help pay for school), currently in finance at a top tech company (Google, Amazon, Microsoft).
Community: A couple of part time jobs supporting vets and their transition to school, fundraising efforts for URM scholarships, a couple of other smaller things
GMAT:?????

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 am
You've got some great stuff here! Top MBA programs will like your military leadership experience and GPA, and the first-generation component is always an added value as well. I generally ignore the URM component in assessing chances, because it is hard to assess quantifiably.

Does all this differentiation mean that you can squeak by with a lesser GMAT? Not necessarily, IMO. What it means is that you are coming in strong, and a competitive GMAT will have even more added value. I always say, look at the median GMAT of accepted students at each program, and figure that's your minimum. Some people get by with less, but don't think in terms of being one of those exceptions we've all read about; think in terms of making the GMAT a neutral-plus so that the admissions readers can focus on your story.

So to be specific, I'm thinking 730 would make the GMAT a non-issue, and higher than that would make it an asset. I might differ from other advisers in that I don't think you'd gain much competitive advantage in going beyond 730, because you have so many other strong areas to highlight and possibly develop further in advance of your application. In any case, I am guessing that with your academic background, 730 will be totally doable for you.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

TTT

by ExpertsGlobal » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:34 pm
Hi @CuriousDreamer101,

Considering your managerial experience during the military stint and strong academic performance, you have a lot working with you :) Having said this, a high GMAT score will make your case even stronger. As you are aiming for the top business schools, you should definitely be targetting a score around the 740 mark. A high GMAT score, coupled with essays that effectively reflect your strengths and portray a set of career goals that complement your profile, will provide you with a strong chance at making it to HBS and SBS! :)

Hope this helps.

All the best! :)
CuriousDreamer101 wrote:I still need to take the GMAT, but I was hoping to get some advice on how high it would need to be to have a good shot for HBS or SBS with my profile - any input is appreciated :)

Background: First generation American/college student, URM - Male, military veteran, interested in an MBA to pursue impact investing in the short-term and public-sector management in the long term.
Undegrad: Top public university in the U.S.
Major: B.Sc. Business and B.A. Social Work
GPA: 3.7
Leadership: Non-Commisioned Officer - managed and trained about 8 people, leadership position in a couple of clubs in school
Work Experience: 4 years active duty military before undergrad , internships in finance while in undergrad at BB bank and smaller boutiques (mainly to help pay for school), currently in finance at a top tech company (Google, Amazon, Microsoft).
Community: A couple of part time jobs supporting vets and their transition to school, fundraising efforts for URM scholarships, a couple of other smaller things
GMAT:?????