X takes 10 days to complete a task. Y takes half that...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:2 members
X takes 10 days to complete a task. Y takes half that time to complete the same task. X starts working on the task and later Y joins X. Both work on the task together and complete the task. If 40% of the total work is done by X, for how many days did X and Y work together?

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

The OA is B.

I don't have clear this PS question. I appreciate if any expert explains it to me. Thank you so much.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 am
AAPL wrote:X takes 10 days to complete a task. Y takes half that time to complete the same task. X starts working on the task and later Y joins X. Both work on the task together and complete the task. If 40% of the total work is done by X, for how many days did X and Y work together?

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6
Let the task = 100 units.

Since Y's time is 1/2 X's time -- and X's time is 10 days -- Y's time to complete the 100-unit task is 5 days.
Thus, Y's rate = w/t = 100/5 = 20 units per day.
Since X produces 40% of the 100 units -- for a total of 40 units -- Y produces the remaining 60 units.
Since Y's rate = 20 units per day, the time for Y to produce 60 units = w/r = 60/20 = 3 days.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 am
AAPL wrote:X takes 10 days to complete a task. Y takes half that time to complete the same task. X starts working on the task and later Y joins X. Both work on the task together and complete the task. If 40% of the total work is done by X, for how many days did X and Y work together?

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6
We can let the number of days X worked alone = x and the number of days X and Y worked together = t. Since the rate of X is 1/10 and the rate of Y is 1/5, we have:

x(1/10) + t(1/10) = 2/5

and

x(1/10) + t(1/10 + 1/5) = 1

If we subtract the first equation from the second, we have:

t(1/5) = 3/5

t = 3

Answer: B

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews