m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:5 members
m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute, and pump B pumps m liters of water per minute. Is m < n ?

(1) x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container alone, and 3x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container while pump A pumps water out of that container.

(2) It takes (3x/2) minutes for pump A to fill a 100 liter container alone.

The OA is the option A.

Any expert may explain to me how to show that statement (1) is sufficient? I'm really confused here.
<i class="em em-disappointed"></i>

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 am
M7MBA wrote:m and n are both positive. Pump A pumps n liters of water per minute, and pump B pumps m liters of water per minute. Is m < n ?

(1) x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container alone, and 3x is the number of minutes it takes pump B to fill a 100 liter container while pump A pumps water out of that container.

(2) It takes (3x/2) minutes for pump A to fill a 100 liter container alone.

The OA is the option A.

Any expert may explain to me how to show that statement (1) is sufficient? I'm really confused here.
<i class="em em-disappointed"></i>
Statement 1: No need to do any math here. Use a little logic. If B is pumping water into a container while A is pumping water out of the container, in order for that container to ever be filled, B has to be faster. Otherwise, A would empty out everything B pumps in! So the fact that the container fills means B must be faster than A. Sufficient.

Statement 2: Nothing about pump B. No Good.

The answer is A
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course