Should I resubmit my application essay?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I resubmit my application essay?

by redalertmba » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:28 pm
I applied to Ross and Kellogg and while my Ross application went okay (submitted, interviewed in the first wave, excelled in the team exercise) my Kellogg application was really rushed.

In particular, for Kellogg essay #1, I used two examples instead of one, because I couldn't make my story so lengthened...I felt I already had made my statement in about 250 words (not to mention I had become accustomed to Ross's short format which I had completed a few days earlier).

I was also running dangerously short of time...
For essay #2, I used one example to write over 400 words, which is in accordance with expectations.

Do you think I'm doomed just because of what I did with the first essay?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am
That's hard to say -- it really depends how effectively you answered the question, i.e. depicted yourself in a leadership role and showed valuable impact. I like to see a lot of Kellogg-specific research in the "growth" essay, because Kellogg doesn't have a Why Kellogg essay elsewhere so this is the only space you have to show commitment. Whether your rushed application will work with the Kellogg admissions committee or not, then, is rather hard to ascertain without reading the materials; if it feels like recycled essays for other schools, that could hurt you, but if it feels very targeted towards the nuances of Kellogg's questions, you might be able to convince them of your commitment.
If you have not already done your Kellogg interview, you might want to be sure your research is really solid in advance of that interview, just to shore up that deep sense of commitment to Kellogg.
As far as I know, they would not accept a revised essay at this stage, simply out of fairness to other applicants.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 am
redalertmba wrote:I applied to Ross and Kellogg and while my Ross application went okay (submitted, interviewed in the first wave, excelled in the team exercise) my Kellogg application was really rushed.

In particular, for Kellogg essay #1, I used two examples instead of one, because I couldn't make my story so lengthened...I felt I already had made my statement in about 250 words (not to mention I had become accustomed to Ross's short format which I had completed a few days earlier).

I was also running dangerously short of time...
For essay #2, I used one example to write over 400 words, which is in accordance with expectations.

Do you think I'm doomed just because of what I did with the first essay?
For better or worse-- the essay you submitted is it! I can't imagine it reflecting well on you to even ask-- as every other applicant also faced same time pressures and would also want to be having extra time-- and the logistics of replacing every essay with a new one in mid application process is a nightmare! So put the thought out of your head! Focus on doing a good job on what is next-- the interview for Kellogg and then just wait to see what happens! Good luck-- and happy to help you with a review or if you are looking at applying Fall 2018! Wishing you all the best! Remember-- people get admitted mostly for their profile-- work experience, stats etc- and not just essays-- so even if the essay is not perfect-- if they like the other areas-- you may still be successful. I would not call attention to the essay by asking for a rewrite! Time to let this go... and see what happens!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:39 am
I should add that I have seen reapplicants who got as far as the waitlist , whose essays had very little to do with the question they were asked. I am surprised by how far they got with material that I think is so far off target. So I agree that while essays are an important part of the process, they aren't in themselves a deal-maker or deal-breaker. But we know that knowledge of Kellogg and commitment to the school are really important strategic factors, so you can use your interview to buttress that aspect of your candidacy.

Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me