Fuqua waitlist advice. GMAT retake.

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Fuqua waitlist advice. GMAT retake.

by Aabshar3 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:52 am
Hello guys,

I need some advice on how to strengthen my profile for clearing waitlist at Fuqua. I have a 710( q45 v41) on GMAT, and am thinking about retaking the test. Also, in case consulting excites me once I join the MBA, will my GMAT restrict my chances in healthcare consulting?
Background- I am a laparoscopy & Robotics trained General Surgeon, presently running a Telemedicine startup and a tertiary healthcare centre in India. I am interested in building a career in healthcare innovation.

Thank You for spending time on reading and commenting on my post.
Have a great day guys!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:54 pm
It certainly can't hurt to take the GMAT again once you're already on the waitlist - it shows perseverance and grit. If you got a 730 or above, that could certainly help your chances.

Have you been able to get 730+ on previous practice exams? Or was the 710 at the high end of your score range? If the former, I'd recommend studying a bit more and taking it again. If the 710 was at the top of your range, though, you might expend a lot more time and money without getting a higher result.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 am
Hi - you sound like a terrific applicant! And waitlist is great - you're still in the game, and they're interested.

But yes, you absolutely want to get that quant score up, not only because Duke is heading towards a 720 average in accepted GMATs over the last couple of years, but also with your medical/robotics background, a higher quant score would be expected. 70% Q is sort of an "unofficial minimum" for most top MBA programs -- there are always exceptions, but don't bank on being one of them -- so if you kept your verbal the same and got a 48 on the quant, you'd be substantially more competitive.

I'm a big fan of doing the MAXIMUM when you're waitlisted, so not only do you want to retake the GMAT, but also do a strong overall self-evaluation and see where any other potential improvements in your application might lie. (This is an area where investing a couple of hours with a professional MBA consulting firm such as Stacy Blackman can add tremendous value - we know what you need, and we can help you identify your action items and make the most of them.) Most application weaknesses are opportunities in disguise, and I recommend that you make a clear-eyed personal inventory, identify each of these opportunities, and then Do Everything You Can.

Also, the more you know about Fuqua first-hand the better. I realize that if you're in India it can be hard to visit campuses in the US, between scheduling and visas, but if there is any way that you can get your "boots on the ground" over at Duke this spring, while classes are still in session, that would also add immeasurably to your competitive profile.
Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 am
Aabshar3 wrote:Hello guys,

I need some advice on how to strengthen my profile for clearing waitlist at Fuqua. I have a 710( q45 v41) on GMAT, and am thinking about retaking the test. Also, in case consulting excites me once I join the MBA, will my GMAT restrict my chances in healthcare consulting?
Background- I am a laparoscopy & Robotics trained General Surgeon, presently running a Telemedicine startup and a tertiary healthcare centre in India. I am interested in building a career in healthcare innovation.

Thank You for spending time on reading and commenting on my post.
Have a great day guys!
Hi @Aabshar3, I think the sooner you take the GMAT again- the better-- as if you can let them know of a higher score in next month or so you may be plucked from the WL. Also-- it will only help to have that higher GMAT for consulting as you mentioned. The next thing you can do if you want Fuqua and need to reapply-- is to apply in the Earliest round-- as this shows Fuqua you are really interested and a lot of admits with profiles like yours are likely to be made in that round. You can also set yourself apart by reaching out to students at Fuqua in HSM program and showing Fuqua that you really understand why you want to be there, how you can add value etc. Even if you can't visit-- you can do a lot of research from afar. Here's an article that can give you some tips on how to do that: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ram-india/
And if you'd like to do a free consult on how we can help you if you apply R1 next year-- here is the link to learn more about how we can help you: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/free-consult/