Triangle ABC has a perimeter of 18. Which of the following

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:5 members
Triangle ABC has a perimeter of 18. Which of the following cannot be the area of triangle ABC?

(A) 119/359
(B) 359/119
(C) π
(D) 12
(E) 16

The OA is the option E.

Experts, how can I solve this PS question? How can I know which one is the correct answer? Can you show me how would you solve it?

Thanks in advanced.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 am
M7MBA wrote:Triangle ABC has a perimeter of 18. Which of the following cannot be the area of triangle ABC?

(A) 119/359
(B) 359/119
(C) π
(D) 12
(E) 16
Given a FIXED PERIMETER for a triangle, the greatest possible are will be yielded if the triangle is EQUILATERAL.

The area of an equilateral triangle = (s²/4)√3.
√3 ≈ 1.7.

If a triangle with a fixed perimeter of 12 is equilateral -- implying that each side has a length of 4 -- we get:
Greatest possible area = (s²/4)√3 = (4²/4)√3 = 9√3 ≈ (9()(1.7) = 15.3.
Thus, the area cannot be equal to 16.

The correct answer is E.

A similar rule:
Given a quadrilateral with a fixed perimeter, the greatest possible area will be yielded if the quadrilateral is a SQUARE.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 am
Hi M7MBA,

We're told that a triangle has a perimeter of 18. We're asked which of the following CANNOT be the area of the triangle. This question can be solved with a little logic, by TESTing VALUES and using the answer choices to our advantage.

To start, we could make LOTS of different triangles with a perimeter of 18 (keep in mind that the side lengths do NOT need to be integers) and some of the triangles would be so 'long and thin' that their areas would be almost 0. Thus, "fractional" areas are possible. Thus, we have to start thinking in terms of how big the area could get. Logically-speaking, there WILL be a maximum area, so it's likely that the answer to this question is the biggest answer. There is a way to prove it though...

Imagine if we had a 45/45/90 right triangle with sides of 5, 5 and 5√2. Since √2 = about 1.4, the perimeter of this triangle would be a little less than 18. The area of THIS triangle would be (1/2)(5)(5) = 12.5, o a slightly larger triangle would have a slightly larger area. Thus, any area less than, or equal to, 12.5 is possible. Four of the answers fit that range - and one of them does not....

Final Answer: E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]