A test maker is to design a probability test from a list...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
A test maker is to design a probability test from a list of 21 questions. The 21 questions are classified into three categories: hard, intermediate and easy. If there are 7 questions in each category and the test maker is to select two questions from each category, how many different combinations of questions can the test maker put on the test?

$$A.\ \ 3\cdot\frac{7!}{5!2!}$$
$$B.\ \ 3\cdot\frac{7!}{5!}$$
$$C.\ \ 3\cdot\frac{7!}{2!}$$
$$D.\ \ 3\cdot21$$
$$E.\ \ 72$$

The OA is A.

I'm really confused with this PS question. Experts, any suggestion, please? How can I solve it? Thanks in advance.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 am
LUANDATO wrote:A test maker is to design a probability test from a list of 21 questions. The 21 questions are classified into three categories: hard, intermediate and easy. If there are 7 questions in each category and the test maker is to select two questions from each category, how many different combinations of questions can the test maker put on the test?

$$D.\ \ 3\cdot21$$
$$E.\ \ 72$$
Hard:
From 7 options, the number of ways to choose 2 = 7C2 = (7*6)/(2*1) = 21.
Medium:
Easy:

To combine the options for each category, we multiply:
21*21*21 = 21³.

None of the answer choices is correct.
What is the source?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:32 pm
LUANDATO wrote:A test maker is to design a probability test from a list of 21 questions. The 21 questions are classified into three categories: hard, intermediate and easy. If there are 7 questions in each category and the test maker is to select two questions from each category, how many different combinations of questions can the test maker put on the test?

$$D.\ \ 3\cdot21$$
$$E.\ \ 72$$

The OA is A.

I'm really confused with this PS question. Experts, any suggestion, please? How can I solve it? Thanks in advance.
I'm guessing the question writer intended to write something akin to "The 21 questions are classified into three categories: hard, intermediate and easy. There are 7 questions in each category. The test maker is to select exactly two questions, but both questions must be from the same category. (She can select two questions from the hard category, two questions from the intermediate category, or two questions from the easy category.) How many different ways can she select her pair of questions?" In this case, the answer would have been 7C2 + 7C2 + 7C2, which is equivalent to A.

But as Mitch noted, the way the question is currently constructed, none of the answer choices is correct.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 am

$$D.\ \ 3\cdot21$$
$$E.\ \ 72$$
Since there are 7 questions in each category and 2 must be selected from each, the number of ways to select the questions is:

7C2 x 7C2 x 7C2

Let's calculate 7C2:

7C2 = 7!/[2! X (7 - 2) !] = 7!/(2! X 5!) = (7 x 6)/2 = 21

The total number of ways to select the questions is 7C2 x 7C2 x 7C2 = 21^3.

Thus the answer is (7C2)^3 or 21^3. (Note: I don't see an equivalent answer choice and their choices A and D are actually the same.)

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage