Two teams are distributing information booklets. Team A...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
Two teams are distributing information booklets. Team A distributes 60% more boxes of booklets than Team B, but each box of Team A's has 60% fewer booklets than each box of Team B's. Which of the following could be the total number of booklets distributed by the two groups?

A. 2,000
B. 3,200
C. 4,100
D. 4,800
E. 4,900

The OA is C.

Boxes distributed by Team A = 1.6 * boxes distributed by Team B

Booklets in boxes Team A = 0.4 * booklets in boxes Team B

Please, can any expert explain this PS question for me? I tried to solve it but I stuck here. I need your help. Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 am
swerve wrote:Two teams are distributing information booklets. Team A distributes 60% more boxes of booklets than Team B, but each box of Team A's has 60% fewer booklets than each box of Team B's. Which of the following could be the total number of booklets distributed by the two groups?

A. 2,000
B. 3,200
C. 4,100
D. 4,800
E. 4,900
To determine what COULD be the total number of booklets, test the SMALLEST POSSIBLE CASE.
Since 60% = 3/5, plug in the SMALLEST POSSIBLE VALUE -- 5 -- for the unknowns attributed to team B.

Team B:
Let the number of boxes = 5.
Let the booklets per box = 5.
Total booklets = 5*5 = 25.

Team A:
Since team A distributes 60% more boxes, the number of boxes = 5 + 0.6(5) = 8.
Since each box contains 60% fewer booklets, booklets per box = 5 - 0.6(5) = 2.
Total booklets = 8*2 = 16.

Total booklets for the two teams = 25+16 = 41.
Since 41 is the least possible value for the total number of booklets, the correct answer choice must be a multiple of 41.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 am
swerve wrote:Two teams are distributing information booklets. Team A distributes 60% more boxes of booklets than Team B, but each box of Team A's has 60% fewer booklets than each box of Team B's. Which of the following could be the total number of booklets distributed by the two groups?

A. 2,000
B. 3,200
C. 4,100
D. 4,800
E. 4,900
This REAL WORLD question requires us to find values that are positive INTEGERS.
So, for example, we can't have 1.3 boxes or 12.44 boxes.

Team A distributes 60% more boxes of booklets than Team B
Since we must have positive integers for these values, the SMALLEST possible numbers are as follows:
Team A: 8 boxes
Team B: 5 boxes

Team A has 60% fewer booklets per box than Team B
Since we must have positive integers for these values, the SMALLEST possible numbers are as follows:
Team A: 2 booklets per box
Team B: 5 booklets per box

In this case, the TOTAL number of booklets distributed by EACH TEAM is as follows:
Team A: (8)(2) = 16
Team B: (5)(5) = 25

So, the TOTAL = 16 + 25 = 41

Check the answer choices....nope, 41 is not an option.

Now recognize that multiples of 41 will also work.
For example, if each team sold TWICE as many boxes than they did in our first scenario, then the total would equal 82.
If each team sold 10 times as many boxes than they did in our first scenario, then the total would equal 410.
And so on.

When we scan the answer choices, we see that C (4100) is a multiple of 41.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:10 pm

A. 2,000
B. 3,200
C. 4,100
D. 4,800
E. 4,900
We can let the number of boxes of booklets distributed by Team B = b and thus the number of booklets distributed by Team A = 1.6b.

We can let the number of booklets per box for Team B = n and thus the number of booklets per box for Team A = 0.4n.

So the total number of booklets distributed is:

(1.6b)(0.4n) + bn = 0.64bn + bn = 1.64bn

Since b and n are integers, so is bn. Thus, we see we need to find an answer choice that results in an integer when divided by 1.64.

Since 4100 produces an integer when divided by 1.64, 4100 could be the number of booklets distributed by the two groups.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage