The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely r

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:1 members
The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

(A) include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
(B) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
(C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
(D) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
(E) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is

I'm confused between B and D. Can any experts help?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:33 am
When you post an SC, please underline the tested portion
ardz24 wrote:The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

(A) include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is
(B) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing as big as 30 feet long and
(C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being
(D) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow as big as 30 feet long and is
(E) includes the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and it is
Generally, the agent of a COMMA + VERBing modifier must be the nearest preceding SUBJECT.
B and C: The 32 species...include the animal known as the killer whale, growing
Here, COMMA + growing seems to refer to the 32 species -- the nearest preceding subject -- implying that the SPECIES are GROWING.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning of the original sentence is that THE KILLER WHALE can GROW.
Eliminate B and C.

In D and E, includes (singular) does not agree with the 32 species (plural).
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:23 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:When you post an SC, please underline the tested portion
ardz24 wrote:The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale, which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

Generally, the agent of a COMMA + VERBing modifier must be the nearest preceding SUBJECT.
B and C: The 32 species...include the animal known as the killer whale, growing
Here, COMMA + growing seems to refer to the 32 species -- the nearest preceding subject -- implying that the SPECIES are GROWING.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning of the original sentence is that THE KILLER WHALE can GROW.
Eliminate B and C.

In D and E, includes (singular) does not agree with the 32 species (plural).
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
Dear Mitch,
1-In OA, should not it include another 'which' as follows:
which can grow to be 30 feet long and which is[/u] famous for its aggressive hunting pods.

2- If unnecessary in this case, when could be mandatory and may cause confusion if omitted?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:40 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,
1-In OA, should not it include another 'which' as follows:
which can grow to be 30 feet long and which is[/u] famous for its aggressive hunting pods.
There is no reason to repeat which in the OA.
2- If unnecessary in this case, when could be mandatory and may cause confusion if omitted?
Even if more than one verb is attributed to COMMA + WHICH, the usage of one which should suffice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3